"Hardly worn"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hardly worn"...

Have been spending a bit of time in the mkt place lately and notice that the phase, "hardly worn" is used in a lot of the posts.

Just wondering, do people believe this description? I mean, there are some watches that are like 4-5 years old and stil hardly worn.

Would we be able to sell the watch at a higher price if we quote that?
    Its true! People buy and keep for >4 years before realising its not for them
    28.57%
    Nay, take it with a pinch of salt
    71.43%
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

I didn't do the poll because this is very subjective. Similar to how people would perceive their standard for "mint condition"; "95% new"; "LNIB", etc. "Hardly worn" is one of the terms too. It is still possible if one has say, eg. 10-20 watches in his/her collection. There is a possibility that one or two may be left in the cold. Similarly, there are few folks here who bought watches of the similar design, or make/model. So he/she wears one and stores the other. I recalled a member here who bought two ROLEX Submariners LV? I'd also heard few who will buy watches just to keep them; not wear them.

So, anything is possible. Most importantly, the physical state/condition of the watch can't lie. View it, touch it, feel it. Then you determine how the watch should be appropriately termed. There was also a recent post by a member who showed pics of his watch bracelet, after only having bought the watch new for weeks, if not months. The condition is like ?!

It's subjective la, bro.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

but hor, i was told before. to sell an old watch, best send it in for polishing and then list LNIB even after 5 years. Say seldom wear. all would make it better for you to sell it.

thats why I feel, makes sense leh the advice I was given. The inside could b rojak but outside looks nice and good

However, agree that some people have so many watches that they don even rem having a particular one. When suddenly see that one, decide to sell
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

No doubt that there are many ways to sell an item, even if it is what you've described but honesty is the best policy.

Cheers!
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
          but hor, i was told before. to sell an old watch, best send it in for polishing and then list LNIB even after 5 years. Say seldom wear. all would make it better for you to sell it.

thats why I feel, makes sense leh the advice I was given. The inside could b rojak but outside looks nice and good

However, agree that some people have so many watches that they don even rem having a particular one. When suddenly see that one, decide to sell
          Haha.. i like ur analogy...

IMO, take it with a pinch of salt...
          A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

IMO, I feel that the phrase: "Hardly Worn" is mainly a catchy words to attract potential buyer's attention.

It is similar to the words like: "Rare", "LNIB", "Sale", "Discount" etc... Sometimes after being "attracted" by the catchy word in the title, ppl tends to click on the link and take a look on the so call deal. Only to find out that it is nothing special

Hardly worn also doesn't necessary mean that the watch will be in good cosmetic condition. It entirely depends on how one take care of his/her watch. Some people are so protective of their watch that they wear a sweat band over the watch!! while some only wear the watch the 1st time already have scratches on the watch due to their clumsiness or hack care attitude...

I do see the word: "Hardly Worn" as a double edge sword. To me, it is similar to a phrase used to describe cars. Often or so, we come across car ads stating: Seldom Driven/ Low mileage etc. It could mean that the car owner is so rich that he/she used it only as a spare ride over the weekends. Or it could mean that it is a "Problematic" car which spent most of it's time inside the workshop for repairs. Worst still, it may have been inside car workshop due to major accident and thus the need for major repairs and overhauls!!

Watchs of course may not be as problematic compared to cars. But we do have to be cautious when the deal seemed "TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE". Why do the owner seldom wear the said watch he is selling? Could it be due to the watch has problem keeping time? Or is there a need to service/overhaul parts inside the watch? As we do know, watches has to be sent for servicing every now and then. If the internals of the watch is already in a very bad state, we may end up paying more for the servicing/overhaul after we get the "Deal". Servicing for a Rare/Vintage/Min Repeater/High end priced watch(Eg patek) is not cheap wor.

Same logic can apply to getting char bor too. If one manages to get a super chio bu too easily = So call "Good Deal". Also must be cautious... Unless you are super hansome or rich or got "Special Skills", why would the super Chio Bu wanna go out with you when there are better suitors queuing from Changi to Tuas?? Later part too obsessed with her only to find out that she is easy to get by other guys too then too late liao... No point outside swee swee but rotten core inside right?

Think I'm getting kinda out of topic here but just a gentle word of reminder as to an old sayings: "All that glitters is not gold!!" Do some research and compare on a few similar watches (On selling price/condition/completeness of it's accompanying accessories etc) available before you commit to buy a swee swee looking watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiolite22 View Post
              IMO, I feel that the phrase: "Hardly Worn" is mainly a catchy words to attract potential buyer's attention.

It is similar to the words like: "Rare", "LNIB", "Sale", "Discount" etc... Sometimes after being "attracted" by the catchy word in the title, ppl tends to click on the link and take a look on the so call deal. Only to find out that it is nothing special

Hardly worn also doesn't necessary mean that the watch will be in good cosmetic condition. It entirely depends on how one take care of his/her watch. Some people are so protective of their watch that they wear a sweat band over the watch!! while some only wear the watch the 1st time already have scratches on the watch due to their clumsiness or hack care attitude...

I do see the word: "Hardly Worn" as a double edge sword. To me, it is similar to a phrase used to describe cars. Often or so, we come across car ads stating: Seldom Driven/ Low mileage etc. It could mean that the car owner is so rich that he/she used it only as a spare ride over the weekends. Or it could mean that it is a "Problematic" car which spent most of it's time inside the workshop for repairs. Worst still, it may have been inside car workshop due to major accident and thus the need for major repairs and overhauls!!

Watchs of course may not be as problematic compared to cars. But we do have to be cautious when the deal seemed "TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE". Why do the owner seldom wear the said watch he is selling? Could it be due to the watch has problem keeping time? Or is there a need to service/overhaul parts inside the watch? As we do know, watches has to be sent for servicing every now and then. If the internals of the watch is already in a very bad state, we may end up paying more for the servicing/overhaul after we get the "Deal". Servicing for a Rare/Vintage/Min Repeater/High end priced watch(Eg patek) is not cheap wor.

Same logic can apply to getting char bor too. If one manages to get a super chio bu too easily = So call "Good Deal". Also must be cautious... Unless you are super hansome or rich or got "Special Skills", why would the super Chio Bu wanna go out with you when there are better suitors queuing from Changi to Tuas?? Later part too obsessed with her only to find out that she is easy to get by other guys too then too late liao... No point outside swee swee but rotten core inside right?

Think I'm getting kinda out of topic here but just a gentle word of reminder as to an old sayings: "All that glitters is not gold!!" Do some research and compare on a few similar watches (On selling price/condition/completeness of it's accompanying accessories etc) available before you commit to buy a swee swee looking watch.

well said.
              累了才放慢脚步; 错了才想到后悔;苦了才懂得满足;伤了 才明白坚强; 醉了才知道难忘 ; 笑了才体会美丽!

是否我沉默了,你才能听到我的心声?是否我停止了,你才能看到我的眼泪?是否我心碎了,你才会摸到我的心痛?是否我消失了,你才会知道我的存在?

Comment

hardly, always.. is still worn.. still 2nd hand mah
                I'm a super low-baller

Comment

"Divorced Mum of 11, Hardly Fcuked"
                  [IMG]http://www.bmw-sg.com/photopost/data/545/bbm_barcode.JPG[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by pilotsnoopy View Post
                    "Divorced Mum of 11, Hardly Fcuked"
                    LOL

Comment

If you think "hardly worn" is a misused word, there's another.

The word "mint" is often used to desribed a pre-owned watch. It a word associated with coins - as newlyl minted, just out of the mint, uncirculated, or "straight from the oven".

Then there's "very mint" - perhaps to denote to newer than BNIB?

Comment

Originally posted by R-oyster View Post
                        If you think "hardly worn" is a misused word, there's another.

The word "mint" is often used to desribed a pre-owned watch. It a word associated with coins - as newlyl minted, just out of the mint, uncirculated, or "straight from the oven".

Then there's "very mint" - perhaps to denote to newer than BNIB?
                        But I think mint condition is now a usable word for items other than coins

Taken from Wikipedia
                        "Mint condition is an expression used in the description of pre-owned goods. Originally, the phrase comes from the way collectors describe the condition of coins. As the name given to a coin factory is a "mint", then mint condition is the condition a coin is in as it leaves the mint. Over time, the term "mint" began to be used to describe many different items having excellent, like-new quality.

When describing trading cards, perfect condition is used to describe the condition as it is when pulled from a pack, mint would be new but opened.

Mint condition is often used to describe a collectible item such as a model figure, doll, or toy that has never been removed from its box (NRFB[1]), or in some cases is as good as new without any scratches or other damage. The term is also very widely used in record collecting and comic books.
                        "

Very mint tho is a bit weird haha.. my watch is better than BNIB althou I had it for 5 years, its hardly worn!! very mint!! 101% TZ condition

Comment

well...diff ppl have diff defination of what is hardly worn....lol....is it consider mint if i happen to drop the watch on a wooden floor from 3 feet high but have not worn it b4?

hahaha....food for thought...
                          Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

maybe i will describe a watch I have for sale "Like a Virgin"

[IMG]http://www.bmw-sg.com/photopost/data/545/bbm_barcode.JPG[/IMG]

Comment

that lady is def not one!!!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X