[news] S'pore's jobless may rise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [news] S'pore's jobless may rise

Refer also to my another post of Recession in SG is over..

Oct 13, 2009
    S'pore's jobless may rise

SINGAPORE'S unemployment will stay up for some time, even as the economy has decisively emerged from its worst recession and started to grow again.

Sounding a note of caution, Prime Minister Lee said in the short term, the jobless rate may well rise above the second quarter's 3.3 per cent.

'This is because unemployment numbers tend to lag behind the economic recovery. Companies will not resume large scale hiring until they are confident of sustained recovery,' he told the NTUC ordinary delegates conference on Tuesday morning.

PM Lee noted that the United States is bracing for its unemployment rate to rise above 10 per cent, and the growth in the US, Europe, Japan and China has so far been due to government spending.

'When the stimulus ends, their economies may slow down again. If that happens, our growth will be dampened too. Even with growth, our unemployment will stay up for some time,' he said. 'Therefore, we must be psychologically prepared for dampened growth, or in any event for unemployment to stay up.'

Singapore's unemployment rate is at the highest in four years and nearly 19,000 workers lost their jobs in the first half of the year as the global recession curbed demand for goods and services.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

The inflow of so call "Foreign Talents" still flocking here for jobs. While the unemployement numbers still remain high. How can jobless rate remain low leh?

Comment

got list somewhere that 'Locals' unemployment rate will remain high?
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
      Working...
      X