Lobangs for watch winders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by surface20002 View Post
    Does anyone know what's the best price I can get a single watch Eilux winder for and from where? Appreciate your help!
    refer to my reply to your posts in winders thread in FAQ.

i listed some of the places already.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Hijack a little. Just how important/crucial it is to have winders? I've a friend who told me crudely in my face when I sought his opinion to buy a watch winder. He said and I quote, "you give me the money and I wind all your watches for you".. !

Btw, this friend of mine got more than 20 automatic watches at home!
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

for me is total convenience. most if not all my automatic watches comes with date. so saves me the hassel to adjust date when i want to wear them. anyway if watch is serviced every 3 to 5 years, i dont think u need a winder.

your friend also smart. he says i wind for u, i can also do that, cause i get to wear your watch also.

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
        Hijack a little. Just how important/crucial it is to have winders? I've a friend who told me crudely in my face when I sought his opinion to buy a watch winder. He said and I quote, "you give me the money and I wind all your watches for you".. !

Btw, this friend of mine got more than 20 automatic watches at home!
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

didnt think of tat..
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

How is the frequency of service related to the need for a winder? IMO, as what u have mentioned, a winder is basically a convenience tool. Its useful especially when

1) You have a few watches

2) U dont wear your watch daily

3) Avoid the hassle of setting time/date each time the watch stops. Bear in mind that ETA movements usually do not recommend date setting between 9pm to 3am. If a watch is stopped, one has to first rotate the hourly hand past 12 to determine am/pm before date set. If u r in a rush to put on the watch and rush for an appointment, this is terrible!

4) A must have addition for ladies with automatic watch(es). In general, they dont like the additional hassle associated with an automatic watch. Free yourself the nagging and hassle! Get them a winder instead!

Originally posted by triton View Post
            anyway if watch is serviced every 3 to 5 years, i dont think u need a winder.

your friend also smart. he says i wind for u, i can also do that, cause i get to wear your watch also.
            sys12345

http://simply-pen.blogspot.com/ - m4/3 Pen Blog

Comment

there are some people who subscribe to the theory that if you place your watch in a certain position for a period of inactivity(this time frame is say 1 month), the oil will flow and stay there, these means other parts do not have the oil to keep them lubricated. so when the watch is next in used, it might increase wear and tear. hence if the watch is constantly being wind up, the oil is spread to all parts and hence less wear and tear.

i do know of a pre-own watch dealer who will daily give the watches(close to 80) inside the shop a jolt to keep the watch parts moving. there must a reason for this action.

so depends on which theory u believe in lor.

Originally posted by sys12345 View Post
              How is the frequency of service related to the need for a winder? IMO, as what u have mentioned, a winder is basically a convenience tool.

kindly email with
              2. your nick

Comment

IC, seems like that there's a couple of such theories floating around. Different school of thoughts, some are akin to old wives tales. With modern day lubrication, IMO such practise is not quite necessary. Then there's another school of thought that says frequent movement can lead to oil film thinning or breaking down earlier. Oh well ...
                sys12345

Comment

Originally posted by sys12345 View Post
                  IC, seems like that there's a couple of such theories floating around. Different school of thoughts, some are akin to old wives tales. With modern day lubrication, IMO such practise is not quite necessary. Then there's another school of thought that says frequent movement can lead to oil film thinning or breaking down earlier. Oh well ...
                  thinning of oil... a load of bull droppings imo. Why? Because oils are meant to be in motion, and it is the purpose of the oil to help lubrication. take for example baby oil, now it can sit on the shelf for any certain amount of time, however once you apply it to your hands, is the oil any inferior? I dont think so.
                  [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                  Blue 6694
                  Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                  [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Its actually the constant friction that results in the oil losing its property, thereby resulting in the thinning in time. In any case, u r right, i dont buy any of this as well. I believe as long as the watch is serviced at the recommended interval, it doesnt really matter if leave it on/off the winder. Dont need to fuss over this IMO.

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                    thinning of oil... a load of bull droppings imo. Why? Because oils are meant to be in motion, and it is the purpose of the oil to help lubrication. take for example baby oil, now it can sit on the shelf for any certain amount of time, however once you apply it to your hands, is the oil any inferior? I dont think so.
                    sys12345

Comment

Overall I agree that Triton's theory of 'convenience' gives it sense to buy a winder. The rest are still speculations.
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

same here. Just convenience and nothing else but marketing ploy by these winder manufacturers to promise you the world and moon.

Just like Honda tell me that if i use non Honda brand motor oil my car warranty may be affected.............. WTF!?! I told them, oil is oil and synthetic oil is all the same.......... why feed me the bullsh*t, you can tell that to my mom, but you tell that to me, kenna you get blasted!!
                        Blue 6694
                        [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                          same here. Just convenience and nothing else but marketing ploy by these winder manufacturers to promise you the world and moon.
                          Simple scenario. Getting ready to leave the house, wife & kids all ready at the door ... WAIT! everyone hold one, daddy forgot to wind up the watch after its been sitting in the box for a week. So must adjust the date & time first, then we can leave. Wife goes, "You mean you paid XXXX for the damm watch, and it can't even keep the time properly???"

How to explain? Cannot lar ... so get a winder lor.

Comment

Originally posted by cmsoh View Post
                            Simple scenario. Getting ready to leave the house, wife & kids all ready at the door ... WAIT! everyone hold one, daddy forgot to wind up the watch after its been sitting in the box for a week. So must adjust the date & time first, then we can leave. Wife goes, "You mean you paid XXXX for the damm watch, and it can't even keep the time properly???"

How to explain? Cannot lar ... so get a winder lor.
                            your case funny one!! For me normal. I once hor, forgot that my watch stop early. so i wear, go to lecture, look at watch.... still showing 0450hr ...............
                            Blue 6694
                            [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

So always keep at least one quartz watch around, particularly useful if u have a kinetic or an eco drive perpetual calender model for such emergencies !
                              sys12345

Comment

just to contribute and share... my wife bought me one from the states, 2 winders, cost about $300 sing dollars. No brand indicated o the winder and i also dunno the number of rotor inside the winder. But it works out pretty well after about 1 year. My watches are working on fine. not to mention that the winder is "soundless". Important as i wanna sleep well at night... hahaha

As for the watch holders, i got mine at "gift and thots", ten holders at only $75, if i can remember correctly. Though i would say that the quality is not fantastic. But the material used for the exterior is not too bad.

Hope the above is helpful.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X