X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Vancancy only for Non-Singaporean

Wanted: Non-Singaporean

By Seah Cheang Nee

AN ELECTRONICS firm that advertised last week for a 'preferably non-Singaporean' engineer has added fuel to a worsening controversy in this migrant city.

It particularly stipulated that 'permanent residents are welcome' to apply for this 'mid-career job (salary negotiable)'.

A copy of the advertisement found its way onto the web.

Applicants should have a diploma or a relevant trade certificate, with 3-5 years' work experience, and 'preferably non-Singaporean (PR welcome),' it added.

This provoked strong reactions from Singaporeans who are already upset at the large number of foreigners allowed to work here.

One asked if such discrimination is legal. 'This sort of ad would have landed this company in heavy trouble in most developed states,' he added.

Another writer said: 'Now we know where we stand. The policy has downgraded Singaporeans to below foreigners.'

Archilles said: 'I feel left out by my own government, which is desperately trying to attract foreign talent (and) overlooking our own 'local talent'. It's sad, very sad!'

A similar storm broke some years ago when another company told a fresh Singaporean graduate during a job interview that his chances were slim if he had to report for annual reservist duty.

'We prefer a foreigner who has no such obligations,' the executive had added. Besides, they are much less costly to hire.

The reservist withdrew his application in disgust.

This is not just another act of public whining. The fact is many Singaporeans are no longer sure about their own role or entitlement in society.

In recent years, the rate of entry has increased sharply as the economy flourished. Every year some 100,000 foreigners have been arriving, putting pressure on what was already one of the most competitive and over-crowded cities in Asia.

The controversy couldn't have come at a worse time when the country is emerging from a severe downturn and the people's uppermost concern is getting ' or retaining ' their jobs.

Last month Seagate (worldwide: 10,000 workers) moved out its manufacturing capacity, retrenching some 2,000 workers. 'It is difficult to imagine the impact of Seagate's loss on our economy,' said commentator Harrison Goh.

Its departure, he added, may have marked the end point of Singapore's involvement in the global manufacturing market.

'It spells a deepening crisis that most Singaporeans may not yet fathom, thinking that the PAP government has a ready solution.'

It is within this context that the unpopularity of the open door policy becomes apparent.

Political leaders are now working hard to reassure embittered Singaporeans that their interests would always come first.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced last week that his government would reduce the inflow of foreign workers to maintain the 'tone' of society. He gave no numbers.

At the same time, his Community, Youth and Sports Minister assured polytechnic students: 'You have a birthright. Everything we do is for your long-term benefit. Foreigners are here to help make Singapore more viable and competitive.'

The other side of the coin is equally stark.

With 1.28 babies per couple, Singapore's birth-rate is one of the lowest in the world and threatens its long-term survival.

Singaporeans are also ageing rapidly, which may require young people to pay higher taxes to look after them.

Both defects are already being felt in a manpower-short economy, which requires immigrants to correct, according to officials.

'Companies have been coming to us to ask 'where are the workers, we can't get them',' a government official said.

Singaporeans, being descendants of immigrants themselves, have never been antagonistic to the presence of foreigners here ' until now.

What they resent is not their coming, but the overwhelming numbers, which they feel are threatening their jobs and education opportunities.

They are also angry with uneven policies that benefit foreigners more than locals, especially national service (compulsory two years) and the subsequent annual reservist call-ups, a burden not borne by foreigners.

Permanent residents are exempted, but their children are not.

Not having to meet reservist call-ups and cheaper wages are powerful attractions for employers to hire foreigners, particularly in a weak economy.

Complaints have increasingly come from older or mid-career Singaporeans who have been replaced by lower-cost younger workers from China or India.

The foreigners, hungrier and without family responsibility here, generally work longer hours for less pay ' something that married Singaporeans with a home mortgage to pay cannot possibly match.

A small industry has risen to recruit them in large numbers ' as indicated by a recruitment agency, with this advertisement: 'Do you find it difficult and expensive to hire local staff' Why not consider hiring foreign talents''

Claiming it was licensed by the Manpower Ministry, the agency said that it had recruited thousands of workers from China, India, Vietnam and Malaysia for Singapore firms in the past five years.

Every time such an ad appears, it cuts into the popularity of the government, which won 66.6% of the popular votes in the 2006 election.

Several months ago, the government ordered its election machinery to prepare for a snap election in case one is called.

With the improvement of the economy, it is widely expected that it will take place next year, instead of 2011 as scheduled. The public discontent against massive immigration promises to be one of the hottest campaign issues if it happens.

This intensity of public feeling has been too sensitive to be reflected in the traditional media, which has toned down the coverage.

On the Internet, however, where Singaporeans can air their grievances, the mood is more sombre. It probably requires more than mere government assurances to placate.

Read here for more details & comments:- http://www.asiaone.com/Business/News...02-171382.html

Hope the company close down soon.

Comment

the company will have to reconsider its job advertising strategy - otherwise its gonna get into the deep end of the creek
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

doesnt matter, i wont wanna work in a company with a management that has such F-up mindset in the first place.

have a feeling its a local boss. usually local bosses are one of the worse to work under.

Full of pride, bullsh|t, no management skills, exploitation, always playing politics and sturring fuel in the lower management, etc.

Worked under one b4 and gave him the boot after a few months. Not surprinsg, the turn over is also uber high with people leaving within 1 day, 2 months, 3 months.

The prob is they look down on locals. which is something that is weird. Then why do business here?
        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

id also like to share the other side of the coin; i think sometimes we all need to reflect in the mirror; i've worked in sg with locals and foreigners in management and as kaki.

sometimes s'porean workers have no direction, no "brains" and dare i say, ask for the world and moon; but fail to materialise when hired.

foreigners on the other hand, are hungrier, and more "tolerant" to management, as such, seem to be better workers, but they also have their own direction (and it will not be in your interest).

at the end of the day, there are good and bad pockets in every society. just happens on your luck which one you choose.

im looking to flame anyone in particular, but we also need to understand where HR is coming from.
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

I was very shocked to come across that..JOB 4Non sporeans only..when i used to own my business, I treat my employees well. And will try to employ locals because I'm aware our fellow countrymen, the difficulties they went thru, while struggling to sercure a job in the presence of "invaders". Thats why, almost a decade ago, i sold my Tanglin hse n my business, n decided to migrate to US. I feel very sorry 4 my fellow countrymen who r still struggling to make ends meet in spore. Anyway, no comments. check this out..

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=23372

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=22426

Comment

For country:
              - more people = more tax to collect. with gst eat, s**t, die all can tax. doesnt matter citizen or not.
              - pro company = more investment = more tax
              - more investment = more money to filter down to people in singapore.

For company:
              - young foreign staff = can pay less, less cost, less admin (no reservist), less problem (no need to give maternity, child care, old parents sick)
              - foreign staff = can pia as no commitments here.
              - local staff = more problem. need higher pay (S$1 is still $1 not x2 x5)

For citizens:
              - support the country function so foreigners can be welcomed
              - got war they leave with all their money. we go fight and die. they will be welcomed when things are over.
              - high tax, high cost of living, less preferred by companies = less people dare to have kids.
              - in time citizens will be minority.
              Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

This country doesn't love Singaporeans. period.
                Opportunities come once

Comment

I heard local Universities apparently grant scholarships to foreign 'scholars' who turn out to be only able to speak shreds of English with below average cognitive abilities. Sigh.
                  Sweet 16:
                  PP Aquanaut
                  VC Overseas
                  AP ROO Black Themes
                  A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                  Breguet Type XXI
                  Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                  JLC Navy Seals
                  GO Senator 60s
                  GP Laureato
                  Zenith Pilot Extra Special
                  Rolex DSSD
                  IWC Big Pilot
                  Pam 112
                  Omega Ploprof
                  Breitling Super Avenger
                  Glycine F104

Comment

erm..what is wrong with local bosses???
                    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=23372

Wow! The PR girl in question is younger than most of us, and gets paid more than most of us! Making S$4000 before hitting her late 20s is pretty good, so who said FT always get paid less than Singaporeans?
                      Sweet 16:
                      PP Aquanaut
                      VC Overseas
                      AP ROO Black Themes
                      A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                      Breguet Type XXI
                      Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                      JLC Navy Seals
                      GO Senator 60s
                      GP Laureato
                      Zenith Pilot Extra Special
                      Rolex DSSD
                      IWC Big Pilot
                      Pam 112
                      Omega Ploprof
                      Breitling Super Avenger
                      Glycine F104

Comment

i tink anyhow bomb out de lar...ask her to show cpf slip lor...talk is cheap...
                        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

mayb inclusive of side line
                          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Chiam liao, hard times ahead. Foreigners take our jobs, take our girls, take our money.
                            Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
                            Rolex LV submariner
                            Rolex TT black submariner
                            Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
                            Rolex Non date submariner
                            Rolex Explorer2
                            More...

Comment

All these frastruation boils down to one man. The stop at 2 birth policy. If not because of his short sighted misjudgement, we Singaporeans wouldnt have to complaint without choice.

Till today we are still baring the costly mistakes at the expend of all Singaporeans. Whatever remedy they are trying to salvage, its not gonna resolves the problem in the long. E.g. like, the birth monetary rewards systems which has gone one sided........, scholarship for foreigners, placement for the 2 Local university admittance for locals etc.

Singapore is one little poor little rich nation. Wonders how much longer is Singaporeans going to sacrifice in order to keep Singapore afloat

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X