Red durians in M'sia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red durians in M'sia

KOTA KINABALU - A DURIAN species is turning heads among visitors to Sabah, thanks to its uniquely reddish flesh.

Known among the Kadazandusun community as sukang or tabelak, the fruit is also called 'durian hutan', as it is mainly found growing wild in the jungles of Sabah.

Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Masidi Manjum said he did not know anyone cultivating sukang (its scientific name is Durio gravolens) as there was generally not much enthusiasm among locals for wild durian.

Its flesh is said to be thinner and drier compared with the cultivated fruit which is of thicker and creamier texture. The taste is about similar with other durians, although some have described it as sweetish sour.

Datuk Masidi said the sukang's main attraction is its red-coloured flesh. 'That's the main thing that makes it stand out,' he said, adding that this type of durian also fetched a lower price than the more common fruit.

The small-sized fruits, some about the size of a sepak takraw ball, are sold for as little as RM2 to RM3 when they are in season.

Datuk Masidi, who grew up in interior Ranau where sukang are plentiful, said some people who had tasted the fruit for the first time claimed that it had a more potent 'kick'.

'Maybe it's because this particular type of durian is generally more pungent,' he added. Others who have tasted sukang describe it having a carrot-like flavour. -- THE STAR/ANN
    "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

i have a feeling they gg to lay claim this is a Malaysia type of durian species and put it along side Nasi Lemak
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

... dont forget the chilli crab oso (patent pending)
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
        ... dont forget the chilli crab oso (patent pending)
        that is so sad Our national dish is actually not ours
        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

time to call on those s'porean chef and start thinking of one . dont become complacent like your neighbour
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
          Working...
          X