Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which watch would you buy first? (A poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which watch would you buy first? (A poll)

Hi guys, once again I am in a slight dillema as to what to get this year. So I'm going to start a poll as to see what you guys think.

I currently only own some Seiko divers (Samurai etc) and a sterile dial Traser (the rest not really worth mentioning) and I'm ready to expand my collection. I'm also ready to give up my Panerai 'homages' and get a real panny soon (can't take it, the quality of these homage things quite bad although they work well for rainy days). I bought a Speedmaster Pro, which I regret selling as well... so its back on my list.

I'm really into dive watches and 'pilot' ones so in my list you will see a whole bunch of them , budget wise... I should be able to get all on my list but... to spend 15k on a watch seems quite heartache for me because I keep thinking I can get 3 watches for that price instead of one. :P but then again I keep thinking of the exclusivity and rarity of a time piece (not just the watch alone but, the availability and workmanship that goes into the movement / design). This is where the confusion begins.

Feel free to vote and let me know your opinion!
    Sinn 856
    0.00%
    Sinn U1
    0.00%
    Omega Speedmaster Pro
    2.38%
    JLC Tribute to Polaris '68
    2.38%
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
    9.52%
    GMT2c
    45.24%
    DSSD
    7.14%
    SubLV
    7.14%
    PAM321
    7.14%
    PAM312
    19.05%
    fallraen
    "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

I think the first choice must a Rolex and the GMT2C is the most appropriate to begin with. You may call it a pilot's watch. It has a long illustrous
    history, and has been touted as the watch the astronauts who walked on the moon preferred - the unofficial moonwatch. Personally, I would have
    preferred the blue/red or black/red traditional GMT.

If you buy a a non-ceramic GMT, a submariner with date, and a omega
    speedmaster moonwatch - all pre-owned, I think you can make it on a 15K
    budget (6:6:3 respectively)

Comment

I assume you're willing to spend $15K in total.

In order of my preference:

Pam 312 - approxi $9.5K (current grey market price)
      GMT IIc - Pre-owned piece
      Sinn U1 - Brand new. approxi $2.3K

So, 3 watches...each on rubber, steel bracelet and leather strap...you get your variety.. to get 3 watches, i think you need to cough out another $1K-2K more
      I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
      A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
      Audemars Piguet ROO
      Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
      De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
      Habring2 Pilot Time Date
      Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
      Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
      IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
      Panerai 270
      Patek Philippe 5711/1a
      Rolex 116610LV
      Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

1. GMT IIc
        2. Pam 312
        3. Omega Speedmaster Pro
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Amongst the list... one immediately stood out. And that's the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. So I voted for it.

IMHO... it's a different class together from the rest. Blancpain makes only about 5,000 watches a year. So they are really boutique and exclusive. And I would argue that Fifty Fathoms is more iconic than the Sub.

Limited production, exclusive, iconic... really don't need to say more. It's a 80-20 watch - 80% of the people wouldn't know what you are wearing. But of the 20% who knows... you'll get lots of respect.

I very nearly bought it... but thought cashflow was more important at that time. It was a wise decision. I can still heard it calling me today though... so one day...
          The ArmchairEconomist

Comment

Unfortunately the Fifty Fathoms, I hear is close to 20k? and its also rather hard to find on the pre-owned market. So I have a feeling it will have to wait... For me I would compare the Polaris to the FF, the Polaris seems more interesting with its alarm complication (limited to 768pieces)but the FF's 100hr power reserve and sapphire bezel is also functional and attractive.

I like the idea of getting a PAM 312 and GMT2c but I think prices for the newer PAMs are still at the peak and most people are selling at 'list' price or more. I think I might settle for a GMT2c and a Sinn or Speedy.

I want to get a PAM but one with 'in-house' movement, don't really feel too good getting a 5k watch with a unitas base movement. I know there not the same but.... its just a feeling I get. If you're going to pay so much might as well get one with a 'in-house' movement?
            fallraen
            "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

Comment

Originally posted by fallraen View Post
              Unfortunately the Fifty Fathoms, I hear is close to 20k? and its also rather hard to find on the pre-owned market. So I have a feeling it will have to wait... For me I would compare the Polaris to the FF, the Polaris seems more interesting with its alarm complication (limited to 768pieces)but the FF's 100hr power reserve and sapphire bezel is also functional and attractive.

I like the idea of getting a PAM 312 and GMT2c but I think prices for the newer PAMs are still at the peak and most people are selling at 'list' price or more. I think I might settle for a GMT2c and a Sinn or Speedy.

I want to get a PAM but one with 'in-house' movement, don't really feel too good getting a 5k watch with a unitas base movement. I know there not the same but.... its just a feeling I get. If you're going to pay so much might as well get one with a 'in-house' movement?/
              hee i ish also feel the same thats why buy Homage using Swiss unitas movement for less than 500 to quench the thirst a bit. forget the ones being sold in bulk or by chriswatch. give you more headache sia...and heartache for wasting the money :P
              I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Hi guys, once again I am in a slight dillema as to what to get this year. So I'm going to start a poll as to see what you guys think.
                I currently only own some Seiko divers (Samurai etc) and a sterile dial Traser (the rest not really worth mentioning) and I'm ready to expand my collection. I'm also ready to give up my Panerai 'homages' and get a real panny soon (can't take it, the quality of these homage things quite bad although they work well for rainy days). I bought a Speedmaster Pro, which I regret selling as well... so its back on my list.
                I'm really into dive watches and 'pilot' ones so in my list you will see a whole bunch of them , budget wise... I should be able to get all on my list but... to spend 15k on a watch seems quite heartache for me because I keep thinking I can get 3 watches for that price instead of one. :P but then again I keep thinking of the exclusivity and rarity of a time piece (not just the watch alone but, the availability and workmanship that goes into the movement / design). This is where the confusion begins.
                Feel free to vote and let me know your opinion!
                Wow! The watches you listed are really varied, especially in terms of price.
                Based on what you have said, I wld also recommend as per wolfeyes' 1st 2 pieces.
                Pam 312 - In-house movement, date, versatile (just change the strap!), domed.. wait and see if price continue to drop.
                GM2C - Personally, I am not a fan of this piece but I have heard many Rolex collectors praised it as one of the best contemporary Rolex watch out there... it is also versatile and would not look out of place whether at a business dinner or just a casual weekend lunch with berms and ti-shirt.

Have fun!
                Last edited by Ender; 24-09-09, 09:41 AM. Reason: Don't tell you...
                "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                three times is enemy action and
                over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                ."

Comment

can i ask, if one of the religion in watch collecting is that if the watch is still in production, must you get a BNIB or a preown.
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

i have always wanted to own a PAM all these years, in fact 10 years already. sad to say i still own a look-alike. nothing more.

I'm also ready to give up my Panerai 'homages' and get a real panny soon (can't take it, the quality of these homage things quite bad although they work well for rainy days). I bought a Speedmaster Pro, which I regret selling as well... so its back on my list.
                    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                    1. subject heading indicating your issue
                    2. your nick
                    3. your corresponding email address
                    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Tay
                      Blancpain FF, i know 2 persons bought it at 14k from cortina at lucky plaza....one is mr hary and the other one is my bro's friend. but this was like 4 to 6 mths ago. not sure if cortina can still sell it at 14k. but u can go to the same branch and ask.

i wonder how come u did not add omega ploprof in your list? it is really a nice diver watch, esp with shark proof metal brac...
                      Another vote for the BP FF ... While there are some really excellent watches in your list, the BP FF is in a totally different league IMHO
                      运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

I asked the same question 4 months ago. And was advised by my friend that if you are gonna get your first watch, get a Rolex. The rest can come later.

I like the idea of mixing and matching BNIB with pre-owned to maximise your $15k budget.

I would pick a BNIB GMTIIc, a pre-owned Submariner (Date) and a Sinn U1.
                        WISHLIST
                        Yachtmaster2 116688
                        Sky Dweller
                        AP ROO Black Theme
                        WG Submariner

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                          can i ask, if one of the religion in watch collecting is that if the watch is still in production, must you get a BNIB or a preown.
                          I am willing to get pre-owned. And yes I am willing mix and match BNIB / Pre-owned to maximise my budget.

I think the Sinn's can wait till the next THG sale, if I'm not wrong they give good discounts during the 'private' sales. I don't mind getting a pre-owned U1 as I know they are quite available on the pre-owned market + it is a hardy watch and I don't think there's much to worry about (except the strap which must be cut and might not fit).

I will have to see the FF at the boutiques if possible before I make my decision. But the Tribute to Polaris really appeals to me too.
                          fallraen

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Tay
                            look for johnson at BB boutique at raffles hotel. i believe the price he quote u won't be good. but if u r really keen....pm me. i go down with u and i am quite sure i can secure a good price for u. cos i bought some watch from him before.
                            What a helpful and nice bro!

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                              i have always wanted to own a PAM all these years, in fact 10 years already. sad to say i still own a look-alike. nothing more.
                              At least you own a look-alike, i have always wanted a PAM too....but somehow.......still........
                              My Small Collection :
                              GMT II 16710 Coke U series
                              JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
                              Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
                              Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
                              Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
                              PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
                              BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X