Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent hard knocks?

Hi,

I wonder if this is appropriate but I hope to start a thread where we can all share and collate, from our encounters and experiences, how our watches got "hurt", in one way or the other. It's about sharing for the purpose of preventing. I shall start with few instances:

a. Waiter carrying plates of food to your table; you were
    busy chatting away. When waiter puts down the plate
    from your rear, you raise your arm and watch "ting"
    onto underside of the plate.

b. You were busy chatting away on your hp and walking at
    the same time. Then you stop behind a closed door
    (where it swings towards you direction); someone from
    behind the door pushed open and "bang" onto your
    watch because you are also using the same hand to
    hold the hp to your ear.

c. You are sitting at a coffee-shop and ordered a canned
    drink (those fruit type where you tend to shake a little).
    You start to shake the can a little with the hand where
    your watch is resting, and "tung"; your watch wacked
    the sharp corner of the chair (with back rest type).

All the above had happened to me but I was damn-damn lucky - none of my 3 watches got damaged. However, there is a potential (of damage) if the angle is different. I've learnt from these 3 actions and strictly DO NOT repeat when I'm out wearing my watches. So this is to share with all the watch lovers here.

Mods, pl edit, amend, delete, where appropriate. It's my thoughts to compile the 'dangers' so that we can all learn and refrain from certain actions, again, for the love of watches.

The Crown Of Achievement

And oh, yeah, forgotten.

a. (I was wearing my TAG Heuer).
    b. (I was wearing my ROLEX).
    c. (I was wearing my Seiko).

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

i always very careful with my watches....i dun walk near to walls,pillars or anything that might knock into my watches...and when got ppl walking towards my direction i will keep my left hand to the front where i can see my watch to prevent the other party's watch or bracelet to come into contact...and best of all i avoid crowded places.....

P.S: i do that all the time regarding i am wearing a $100 watch or few k watch...same...i tink i am crazy...hahaha
      Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

If u DRINK DON'T WEAR expensive watch when u are drinking usually u will be more not careful haha

Comment

hmmm... dunno leh, guess i boh chap type, knock teo knock loh... hahaha

the more i knock, the more i like to wear it season mah, lu eng lu song. ...

Comment

Try to use right hand ( w/o watch on ) more often, it will minimise uncalled damages or scratches.

Comment

Knock won't cause potential damange to our rollie especially sports models?

Comment

I was wearing my U-Boat on the 3rd day after newly purchased. Was walking in a toy shop with glass display and swinging my hand then "kong" hit the glass display. Got a ding on the bezel. Damn... only 3rd day...

Comment

wear watch with plastic protector....

once at orchard, from distance i was a middle-aged uncle wearing a pam... but whitish case...when near, i can clearly see the protector ... wah liew...

Comment

hahaha..champion.....

Comment

a. Waiter carrying plates of food to your table; you were
                      busy chatting away. When waiter puts down the plate
                      from your rear, you raise your arm and watch "ting"
                      onto underside of the plate.

b. You were busy chatting away on your hp and walking at
                      the same time. Then you stop behind a closed door
                      (where it swings towards you direction); someone from
                      behind the door pushed open and "bang" onto your
                      watch because you are also using the same hand to
                      hold the hp to your ear.

c. You are sitting at a coffee-shop and ordered a canned
                      drink (those fruit type where you tend to shake a little).
                      You start to shake the can a little with the hand where
                      your watch is resting, and "tung"; your watch wacked
                      the sharp corner of the chair (with back rest type).

d. "Drink-wearing" is another. If you drink, don't wear; if wear, don't drink.
                      ( tx BOZZ for sharing )

e. To avoid walking near walls/pillars, esp on your "watch-wearing" wrist.
                      Yes, very agree because I've seen these happened twice. OUCH!
                      ( tx feilong108 for sharing )
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by daveevan View Post
                        Try to use right hand ( w/o watch on ) more often, it will minimise uncalled damages or scratches.
                        A little subjective because there are left-handers and different people wear their watches different. But whether one can make such adjustment is a little tough. Left-handers do wear watches on their right wrist, and vice versa. Anyhow, point is noted.

Originally posted by Haolian King View Post
                        I was wearing my U-Boat on the 3rd day after newly purchased. Was walking in a toy shop with glass display and swinging my hand then "kong" hit the glass display. Got a ding on the bezel. Damn... only 3rd day...
                        Ouch!!!

Originally posted by 3echo View Post
                        wear watch with plastic protector....

once at orchard, from distance i was a middle-aged uncle wearing a pam... but whitish case...when near, i can clearly see the protector ... wah liew...
                        And this is not uncommon. I've seen (twice) ladies wearing their ROLEXes with the transparent bezel protector on. I had the urge to approach one and asked why but refrained because both times, my other half was with me. But I thought long and hard, and wondered if the bezel protector actually is for "wearing out" purpose. Think about this: Why do you need to put the bezel protector on when your watch is resting in the box/winder? Won't it be more purposeful if the bezel protector is left on when you are wearing your watch??

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

hehehe....i value my watches more than any other material things....i dun even feel heart pain when 1 lady driver 'accidentally ding my car door when she open her door...hahaha...but not my watches....that is y even my OC oso dun really come close to my watches at all....she is kinda of rough with watches....Argh......her 1 yr old datejust look as if it had been thru world war 3 and 4 and back...Zzzzz......

Comment

you're not alone bro...

yo brothers & sisters in this forum,
                            just so you know that i'm also one of the ones that wear my Rolex with the plastic bezel cover on...seems really dumb but i'm too paranoid to get scratches on any of my Rolex or my other watch collections...who knows, i might bubble wrap my wrist one of these days too...hahaha just kiddin'
                            but i'm too much of a perfectionist as i try to keep all my watches (those that i wear and don't plan to sell) in a great condition...it's just me lah and probably also because of what i do...i'm quite particular with things and have developed an eye for extreme details after all these years...
                            if there's also some other fanatic or lunatic like myself, please manifest hahaha

Comment

great to know that i am not the only crazy dude out here in singapore..wahahahahaha....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X