X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the diff between these?

sapphire glass dial
    mineral glass dial
    acrylic dial (Tag Monaco..how come they never change it to sapphire glass and still using acrylic??).

which one is more "scratch-proof"? what's the composition of mineral glass? is this an important consideration when you buy a watch??

cheers

james
    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
    Audemars Piguet ROO
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
    Panerai 270
    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
    Rolex 116610LV
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Good qns asked . Wld oso like to knw.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
      sapphire glass dial
      mineral glass dial
      acrylic dial (Tag Monaco..how come they never change it to sapphire glass and still using acrylic??).

which one is more "scratch-proof"? what's the composition of mineral glass? is this an important consideration when you buy a watch??

cheers

james
      Sapphire glass is the hardest of all,the most scratch resistant material. Then comes mineral and acrylic. Mineral is not as resistant...is abit resistant,but cannot tahan heavy scratches. Acrylic is cheaper and can be polished...but easily scratched. Sapphire is solid but once broken expensive to replace

For me yes it's quite impt if the watch is expensive,because i dun want to keep worrying about the crystal being scratched.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Sapphire crystal are scratch proof but only vulnerable to Diamond scatches... The other two can only withstand average light scratches...

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
        - GMT II
        - GMT IIc TT
        - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
        - Master Eight Days (1608420)
        - U1
        - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
          Sapphire crystal are scratch proof but only vulnerable to Diamond scatches... The other two can only withstand average light scratches...
          that's why it's not realy called proof la...usually they would say resistant...

but i dun hav alot of diamond rings to scratch it...so i m gd

Comment

bro.. the price you are paying for a new watch, dont bother anything other than sapphire... unless its a vintage..

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
            - GMT II
            - GMT IIc TT
            - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
            - Master Eight Days (1608420)
            - U1
            - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

bro.. the price you are paying for a new watch, dont bother anything other than sapphire... unless its a vintage..
              Yup..true...

Comment

Some non-sapphire watches are collectibles, like the 1st watch to moon, the 3570.50 Omega Speedmaster. Somehow, they can't be sapphired because the crystal may explode in space

Yep. Sapphire is vulnerable when there's diamond. So for those with wives or gfs, pls stay away from where the diamond ring is. That's the reason why I wear my watches on my L hand because my wife wears her ring on her L hand too...
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

Originally posted by minusplus View Post
                  Some non-sapphire watches are collectibles, like the 1st watch to moon, the 3570.50 Omega Speedmaster. Somehow, they can't be sapphired because the crystal may explode in space

Yep. Sapphire is vulnerable when there's diamond. So for those with wives or gfs, pls stay away from where the diamond ring is. That's the reason why I wear my watches on my L hand because my wife wears her ring on her L hand too...
                  LOL...heng i dun wear ring often...haaha...i want to wear but then...look very weird la so dun 1 to.

Comment

Acrylic crystal is an inexpensive plastic that does not prevent scratches, but allows scratches to be buffed out.

Mineral crystal is glass, which is composed of several elements that aid in resisting scratches (it is seven times harder than acrylic crystal). It is generally found on more expensive watches.

Sapphire crystal is the cover of choice for premium watches. It is the most expensive type of crystal and is three times harder than mineral crystal. It is made of an extremely durable synthetic material that makes it shatterproof and scratch resistant (not scratchproof). Some have a non-reflective film to prevent glare.
                    Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
                    Rolex LV submariner
                    Rolex TT black submariner
                    Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
                    Rolex Non date submariner
                    Rolex Explorer2
                    More...

Comment

Originally posted by teo View Post
                      Acrylic crystal is an inexpensive plastic that does not prevent scratches, but allows scratches to be buffed out.

Mineral crystal is glass, which is composed of several elements that aid in resisting scratches (it is seven times harder than acrylic crystal). It is generally found on more expensive watches.

Sapphire crystal is the cover of choice for premium watches. It is the most expensive type of crystal and is three times harder than mineral crystal. It is made of an extremely durable synthetic material that makes it shatterproof and scratch resistant (not scratchproof). Some have a non-reflective film to prevent glare.
                      Absolutely Corrrect (bold parts)

wait...well all are correct also la...So it's like u want cheap and can buff or u want expensive and resistant but once u smash it,it's expensive to change. I would go for the latter though,it's not everyday that u smash a sapphire glass right?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                        Absolutely Corrrect (bold parts)

wait...well all are correct also la...So it's like u want cheap and can buff or u want expensive and resistant but once u smash it,it's expensive to change. I would go for the latter though,it's not everyday that u smash a sapphire glass right?
                        once my rollie's sapphire glass chipped after kena a friend's watch...heart pain siah!!

Current collection
                        Audemars Piguet ROO
                        Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                        Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                        Panerai 270
                        Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                        Rolex 116610LV
                        Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
                          once my rollie's sapphire glass chipped after kena a friend's watch...heart pain siah!!
                          Change the crystal

Comment

I think its about $200 for crystal change. Correct me if I am wrong.
                            Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
                            Rolex LV submariner
                            Rolex TT black submariner
                            Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
                            Rolex Non date submariner
                            Rolex Explorer2
                            More...

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                              Change the crystal
                              i did change it but couldn't remember what's the cost...

i just cldn't believe it that saaphire crystal just chipped like that...it's afterall a small knock against the other watch.....was taken by surprise....hahahaa

Current collection
                              Audemars Piguet ROO
                              Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                              Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                              Panerai 270
                              Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                              Rolex 116610LV