• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why SG will never have a 'Minimum Pay' system

Sauce gotten from HWZ...

LuckySingaporean
    Yesterday, 7:39 PM

In this posting, I'll tell you why the PAP will never ever establish a minimum wage.

In this recession, the US unemployment rate soared to 9.4%....and Singapore's resident unemployment rate is 4.9%. These unemployment numbers are however not an apples to apples comparison. Before I drill into the numbers lets start with a story.

In the 1980s recession, one of my seniors who was about to ORD took leave to attend an job interview. He was a poly graduate. A few days later he received the job offer but instead of looking happy, he had this frown on his face. "I can't believe it but the pay is $400 a month!", he said. Before the recession, people with his qualifications were paid $750 a month. He took the job anyway because he couldn't get another one. At that time, it was possible for a single person to live on $400 a month. The moral of the story is there is almost always a job available when you are willing to accept any pay. If you're willing to work for free, send me a mail and I'll get you a job and you don't have to be unemployed. It is completely meaningless to talk about employment level alone without talking about wages. When you compare the umemployment rate of a country with minimum wages with one without a minimum wage, you're not comparing apples to apples.

The minimum wage in the US depends on where you live but the average is US$7 per hour. If a person works full time, say 8-6pm every weekday, the month salary is US$1400 or S$2000.

The bottom 10 lowest paying jobs in Singapore are:

Lowest paid jobs*

1. Office cleaner $600
    2. Manufacturing labourer and related worker $760
    3. Kitchen assistant $991
    4. Plastic product machine operator $994
    5. Hospital attendant $1,000
    6. Travel agency and related clerk $1,016
    7. Waiter $1,080
    8. Pre-primary education teachers $1,100
    9. Lorry attendant $1,102
    10. Pest exterminator $1,106
    * Based on median starting salary ...data from The New Paper.

See Obama has a more difficult task creating jobs in his economy because of the minimum wage - he has to create jobs that pay better than the minimum wage. All our leaders need to do to get the unemployment rate down is to tell the people not to be 'fussy' about salary. In other words, you can say Singaporeans always have employment as it is just a matter of accepting whatever pay that is offered.

However, what good is a job if you do make enough to feed your family? If our economic system is equitable, a person working full time should be able to raise a family, afford a home have and all the basic necessities. When you have people working full time and not able to make ends meet, you have poverty. To make sure people are paid decent salaries, many developed countries set a minimum wage.

The frequently cited problem with a minimum wage is that it will result in higher unemployment. The above graph illustrates the problem. The way to keep unemployment from becoming higher is to make sure your equilibrium point is close to the minimum wage. Govts can do this by having a robust economy with well paying jobs and making sure the cost of living is contained. With massive imported labor, the Singapore govt has caused the supply curve of labor to shift to the right. This moved our equilibrium point further down from where our minimum wage is. Also, the cost of living increase over the years means our minimum wage has been going up....moving further form the equilibrium point.

The reason why the PAP govt does not set a minimum wage is simple. Unemployment will escalate if they do that. What this means is a large number of Singaporeans are employed at wages way below what they need to live decently. We see this from the stats - 20% of the population make something like $1300 or less.

Being able to establish and enforce a minimum wage says a lot about a govt. If they have created a system in which people who work full time jobs can make a decent salary, setting a minimum will not be problematic. If a govt creates an economy that is dependent on cheap labor and cannot keep the cost of living down because of its other interests, it will never be able to set a minimum wage without creating problems for itself.

Hong Kong aims to introduce a minimum wage by early 2011 [Link]. South Korea already has mimum wage [Link]...so does Japan[Link]...so does Taiwan[Link]...and all developed western countries.

But Singapore? The govt has created a system in which we can never establish a minimum wage....because of the sheer number of people working at income levels that are so low relative to cost of living....a natural consequence of our large income gap.

Next time someone tells you things are better in Singapore because unemployment rate (among residents) is low remember that is only half the story.

Thoughts of a contented Singaporean who has lived in Singapore for 40 years.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

now this is a realistic and good report!
    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
    Audemars Piguet ROO
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
    Panerai 270
    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
    Rolex 116610LV
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

power report, Bro louisoh by the way u work as economist or finance is it?

Comment

Actually... I thought a minimum-wage structure is something that Singapore does not need (for the moment).

When there are minimum wages, that means ===> government intervention. Now THAT... IMHO... is NOT a good thing. And we already have the tripartite, I don't think adding such another structure would help.

So here the 2 poison:

1) do we want to have high unemployment rate?

If we have high unemployment:
        - we need a wider more comprehensive social security program. In other words, higher taxes. Do we want that?
        - well... there would be more crime. I'm working with MCYS on a project now. The probation officers are busier than ever because crime has gone up during recession. So hire more officers? In other words, higher taxes, do we want that?
        - More crime... more vice... unless we can turn all those unemployed into Police officers, there'll be more social issues. In other words, higher taxes, do we want that?
        - Also means higher cost of running a biz here. Is that pro-biz? No. If cost of running a biz is higher, what would biz owners do? Charge more lah. So a bowl of noodles that used to cost $3 will now cost $5. Do we want that?

OR

2) do we want lower unemployment but lower wages?

- So does Singapore have a wider income gap than other countries WITH minimum wages? US, UK, HK, Japan, SK... hmmm... actually... I don't think so...
        - these 20% as Louis point out will struggle... but if we ask them, would they prefer to have low pay or no pay? I think I'll pick low, rather than no.

So the argument goes that Singapore govt should NOT built the economy on cheap labour. Gosh... if we look at the list, how many of them are done by foreigners? The last time I ate dimsum, the waiters and waitresses are all either from Malaysia or China. Including those who clear the tables.

The other problem with implementing minimum wages is obviously... "what will be the minimum wage?". $6, $8 or $25 an hour? Or does the govt adjust the rate every year to 'tweak' the unemployment rate. And pay more taxes for those govt guys for OT? Err... no thank you. Also do bare in mind... rates can go up, but NOT down. Imagine you are earning $7/hr... and next year you don't want to earn $6, right? So there is no real elasticity...

BUT I do agree with Louis's last statement... if there is a flaw/mistake in our economy.. iMHO... is the existence of GLC/TLC plus foreign MNCs, that accounts for what? 90% of the economy? Thereabouts... so where are all the local enterprises? How much do account for? Whatever the number... it's too small.

Imagine MNCs taking off... and imagine GLC/TLCs not being efficient. Gosh... the thought is frightening... Minimum wages aside, we have much, much bigger problems to deal with.

Pardon my bluntness...
        The ArmchairEconomist

Comment

having a minimum wage will raise standard of living in another perspective, which will bring another whole loads of issues.

as for tripartite, does it still currently work considering that now there is anti-competition laws?

i do agree that government intervention may not be a good idea. take for example a food server @ your typical kopitiam has a minimum wage of 10/hr. will my cup of coffee end up like $2? i dont know.

i studied in australia. there was once where i required a plumber's service. he was just staying like 3 streets down the road. he still have a call-out fee which is equivalent to his minimum hour rate. do we want that to happen?

there are 2 sides to a coin. im not for or against minimum wage. as an employee i clearly do. but will my standard of living and expenses increase as a result of minimum wage, probably not. i would rather tell my employee that why he/she should employ me rather than the next best candidate.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

If there is a min. wage law here, I think Singapore will be flooded with Malaysian workers....

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
              If there is a min. wage law here, I think Singapore will be flooded with Malaysian workers....
              Errr...minimum wages or not, we are already 'flooded' with M'sia workers. I am not 100% sure of the absolute number now... but they should be in the region of 300,000 to 400,000 M'sia workers in SG. And that would probably account for about 20% for the entire SG labour force. Most of them are in manufacturing (maybe 60%).

And we need them!!

If we implement minimum wages, will this apply to foreigners?

- If yes, then there is no difference hiring SG or MY worker. But do we (SG) have the supply of workers? Which also means there is an increase in cost of doing business here. Not good.

- If no, then no biz will hire SG workers cos foreign workers are cheaper. Some quarters are already complaining about foreign workers taking jobs from SGrens, they now have a real cause to go after. Not good also.

So at this point of time... I would stand on the side where having a minimum wage structure is not good and right. In years to come, who knows? And why not?
              The ArmchairEconomist

Comment

Correct me if im wrong but even now with no Min wage or anything, there are so many foreigners. Too much liaozz. A min wage can be set to protect e local workers. Now e thing is e Garmen dun give a Hoot abt our livelihood, its e sad truth, tat u won't see in e papers.
                "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

On the other hand, I think there are too many local graduates in singapore...

Comment

there is too many grads everywhere not just singapore.
                    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                    Blue 6694
                    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Nooch View Post
                      Correct me if im wrong but even now with no Min wage or anything, there are so many foreigners. Too much liaozz. A min wage can be set to protect e local workers.
                      Actually, I think we need even more foreigners. Before anyone flames me... please allow me to explain.

There are bascially 2 ways to increase output (GDP) - Inspiration vs Perspiration

1) Inspiration

Or should I say innovation. The best example is Switzerland. Land of Rolex (Watch-making) and innovation banking practices. And obviously declaring themselves politically neutral helps. Their hold on such key niche products and services make themselves almost indispensible. Would you want to wear a swiss-made or jap-made? Would you rather have a swiss bank account of UOB account? They don't need foreigners... or at least not a lot...

2) Perspiration

If one don't have inspiration... what can we do to improve output? More perspiration of course! There is so much that we SGrens can sweat, so we 'invite' more to come and sweat in SG. We have no choice but to get foreign sweat if we want to improve our GDP. It's just simple maths... And at this point of time, I think we can probably accommodate more foreign workers just to add more sweat to the economy. For the economic standpoint, more foreigners is good... from the society's view, it's another argument altogether.

Which... comes to the point that Singapore's only true inspiration is our strategic geographic location which we were (luckily) able to milk to its fullest. But other than that... we have nothing much that we can call truly inspiration. Well, at least they are starting to recognise that and been pumping money into fields like water-treatment, biotech, etc. If not, the future will be very smelly (from all the sweat!)

Originally posted by Nooch View Post
                      Now e thing is e Garmen dun give a Hoot abt our livelihood, its e sad truth, tat u won't see in e papers.
                      Actually... I do honestly think the garment cares about our livelihood. And we do see it in the papers. Hey... its owned by them...
                      The ArmchairEconomist

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                        there is too many grads everywhere not just singapore.
                        Ya boy... too many grads... too little jobs.
                        And we wonder why some domestic helpers are actually smarter than us.
                        The ArmchairEconomist

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X