Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this happening here too?

High-tech cheating in entrance exams

Hundreds in China ignore warning they would be blacklisted for life; teachers caught selling tiny gadgets

CHEATS at China's university entrance examinations were told this year that they could be blacklisted for life, but hundreds still turned to technology, hoping to beat the system.

Cheats - more than a hundred in some provinces - uncovered in last week's annual exam had used devices smaller and more innocuous-looking than ever before, according to Chinese media.

For example, some of the transmitter devices with embedded in normal erasers and watches, while some wireless receiving gadgets were the size of tiny red beans.

The most ingenious was probably a device that could be concealed in a stationery set: among the ordinary pens and pencils would be a 20cm by 4cm standard "ruler" equipped with a monitor with alphanumerical capabilities that could display any kind of text information.

The devices were hard to detect and required extra-prudent checks to separate them from normal stationery, said a spokeman for the Public Security Bureau of Songyuan city, north-eastern Jilin province. They looked like ordinary rulers but were able to provide wireless information to the users.

Thirty-four sellers of such gadgets were caught in the city, among them two teachers who brokered for their students.

English language teacher Liu Yanhua was charged with selling 27 cheating devices, including receivers, earphones, chargers and batteries, to parents of students before the national test. She allegedly made a profit of more than 400,000yuan (S$85,000), the spokesman said.

Liu confessed that she had bought the devices through a website last month and promised parents she would send test answers through them during the exam, the spokesman revealed.

According to Chinese law, a seller of such a device could be jailed for up to three years but only if it was put to use by students.

Another six people were detained in northern Shanxi province for allegedly selling receivers to students so that they could be fed correct answers during the June 7 to June 9 tests, the Xinhua news agency said.

They included four students and one middle school teacher, said Xinhua.

China's national college entrance examination is considered a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for candidates to get into prestigious universities, a gateway to career success and social status.

As more than 10 million students sit for the exam every year, competition is fierce. That explains why some students and their parents go to such lengths - including cheating - to ensure they do well, said Chinese media.

This year, video cameras were installed in 60,000 exam halls across the country to prevent cheating. The stepped-up efforts came after more than 1,000 applicants were recently caught cheating in China's civil service exams.

In Beijing, the wireless squad was called up for the first time to check for abnormal radio waves around test centres. Elsewhere, students were ordered to file through a metal detector before being ushered to their seats.

But the measures, it appears, are not enough to deter cheats.

[Report by the Straits Times, June 16 Tuesday]
    The Crown Of Achievement

Now, they got fake RMIT cert loh, no need examination, how naive pple can be..

Comment

eh, this is not news, tom dick and harry has been cheating in exams for ages already. now adays, raise hand go toilet, check on mobile phone for answer. kautim!
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

No need fake cert, no need cheat... look at our Bill Gates....

Comment

why look so far..... mr ng from far east if my memory serves me well, is also another one without qualifications, yet he controls 25% of sg property
          Blue 6694
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Its 'MADE IN CHINA' KIASU syndrome..

In Singapore, I am not surprise if ANY of these technologies reach our shores but so far undetected...

Imagine if the kid do damn well in O levels or even PSLE but struggle to cope at college level... so what??? End up surely suffer the consequence of being a drop out I suppose....

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
            - GMT II
            - GMT IIc TT
            - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
            - Master Eight Days (1608420)
            - U1
            - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
              Its 'MADE IN CHINA' KIASU syndrome..

In Singapore, I am not surprise if ANY of these technologies reach our shores but so far undetected...

Imagine if the kid do damn well in O levels or even PSLE but struggle to cope at college level... so what??? End up surely suffer the consequence of being a drop out I suppose....
              u talking about me ah??
              I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Don't like dat lah... I am not refering to or condemning drop-outs hor....

I am saying if anybody uses such technology to get to a good school, then in the end, they still won't pass out as an elite if the individual don't have substance to begin with....

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                u talking about me ah??

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
                - GMT II
                - GMT IIc TT
                - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
                - Master Eight Days (1608420)
                - U1
                - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

i think is because of limited places and the value they emphasis on the china entrance exams. if they dont it in china, where else can they go to do?

in sg, if you can go to local university, can consider those corresponding programs or SIM or so on.

the media use in examination is different. as such, special tactics have to be done.

i know this is sad. but seriously, when you start to work, then you know what 'tertiary' education is all about.

there basically what i call 3 types of students, street smart only, exam smart only and street smart and exam smart students. to be the last category is not easy. it takes years of experience.

im back to school to study. ppl did ask me why am i doing it? considering that it is not critical for me to attain this certificate to advance in my career. im planning for the future is the answer i give.
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
                    Don't like dat lah... I am not refering to or condemning drop-outs hor....

I am saying if anybody uses such technology to get to a good school, then in the end, they still won't pass out as an elite if the individual don't have substance to begin with....
                    haha i know u don mean any offence. no probs!
                    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                      i know this is sad. but seriously, when you start to work, then you know what 'tertiary' education is all about.

there basically what i call 3 types of students, street smart only, exam smart only and street smart and exam smart students. to be the last category is not easy. it takes years of experience.

im back to school to study. ppl did ask me why am i doing it? considering that it is not critical for me to attain this certificate to advance in my career. im planning for the future is the answer i give.
                      totally agree with you on those points. even those who are mature minded will know what 'value' the tertiary education gives. the degree gets you in the door, but it is a combination of street + book knowledge that helps you stay in the job
                      Blue 6694
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

You can cheat once, twice, a few times, but you cannot cheat forever.
                        Simplicity, an encapsulation of complexity.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X