我报 - Article on owing your first fine timepiece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical Vs Quartz.

Quartz uses electrical energy to operate and they are lower in cost. Mechanical watches driven by a mainspring requires more effort during the making and they are higher in cost. Mechanical watches are most collectors’ choice.

Peter Henlein invented the first pocket watch in 1954, the main setback at that time was accuracy. Quartz watches are invented only in 1960.

Hand wound watches usually last 42 – 44 hours after winding. Unlike quartz movement, they rely on a mainspring to operate. They are more expensive and less accurate comparing to quartz. Most people wear them as jewelry.

Automatic watches make use of the wrist movement to operate the mainspring. Most Swiss-made watches are now using this movement.

Although it is not commonly used, the Tourbillion movement uses complicated technology to make the watch more accurate. It adds to the mechanics of a watch escapement countering the effects of gravity. NO matter how you place your wrist, the movement will be still at an accurate speed.

Quartz watches are very popular during the 60s and 70s. They are more affordable in cost thus reaching out to more consumers. There are 2 quartz watches, analogue and digital. They uses a battery that has a lifespan of 2 to 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by edsonchan View Post
      Mechanical Vs Quartz.

Hand wound watches usually last 42 – 44 hours after winding. Unlike quartz movement, they rely on a mainspring to operate. They are more expensive and less accurate comparing to quartz. Most people wear them as jewelry.
      is he refering to a particular competitior brand?????
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
        is he refering to a particular competitior brand?????
        I dont think so la..

I feel that the reporter is not a doing a good report as well. I don't think he will say it is mostly used as a jewelry. I hope I did the translation correctly..

Comment

yea I re-read the article.

The actual words the reporter used is:"These watches are mainly use as accessories/ jewelry or worn because of their looks."

Comment

Originally posted by Mille View Post
            wonder why would a jewellery brand be advocating wristwatches..
            Ha ha, jewellery brand? This brand has a long and distinguished heritage in classic watches (Tank, Santos and Pasha), not to say one of the most profitable under the Richemont stable.

This is also the only big name brand that has earned the right to put the Geneva Seal on their Collection Privee watches (even though its purely strategic marketing and positioning). The rest doesn't even come close to Cartier in terms of scale.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X