Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterfeit watches clocking up sales online

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...p-sales-online

The watches are advertised as "boutique grade" - fakes which are of such high quality, even dealers have trouble telling them apart from the real thing.

The replicas of luxury timepieces from the likes of Audemars Piguet, Panerai and Rolex come in official-looking boxes, complete with warranty cards and papers.

The Sunday Times has found at least four Facebook pages through which these counterfeits are being sold for between $500 and $1,500, depending on the model.

Interested buyers SMS or send a WhatsApp message to a mobile phone number included on the page to set up a deal. When this reporter posed as a prospective buyer looking for a Panerai 441 watch, which retails for more than $16,000, he was quoted $1,050.

The seller even promised a "lifetime mechanism warranty" for what was labelled a "1:1 replica".

He said: "You can enter Panerai boutique without them knowing it is (a) replica." He added that the watches were sourced from a factory in China, and claimed to be the "direct distributor" of its wares.

After payment is made via bank transfer, watches would be shipped direct from the factory to customers. There would be no need for a face-to-face meeting between the customer and him, he added. And if the watch breaks down, he has "lots of watch repair contacts".

These illegal sellers appear to be doing a thriving business. The Facebook pages are filled with reviews and pictures from customers who say the watches are "worth the price" and "look damn good".

Watch dealers here say such high quality replicas started appearing about one to two years ago.

Mr William Leong, vice-president of the Singapore Clock and Watch Trade Association, said this was when counterfeit factories started using the same machinery used by established watch-makers.

A separate website that sourced such fakes from a Chinese factory claims that "original watches were fully dissected and used as samples for replication". According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), the counterfeit goods business is worth over US$250 billion (S$342 billion). About a tenth of fake goods seized are watches and jewellery.

Mr Alfred Png, who runs Png Watch Dealer, said while replicas have tell-tale signs that set them apart from genuine ones, these often boil down to tiny details - for instance the lustre on a screw, or slight difference in the dial colour.

A similar point was made by Mr Leong, who said the material used to make the fakes is inferior. Mr Png, who has been in the business for 38 years, said: "The finishing is generally a little bit more coarse, or the leather will be a little rough."

But sometimes it is hard to tell.

Mr Png said he knew a dealer who bought a watch supposedly from a Swiss manufacturer but which turned out to be a counterfeit. "It looked so real, only when he opened the case and looked at the engine, did he know it was a fake."

It is a crime to sell counterfeit goods. Anyone found guilty of doing so may be fined up to $100,000, jailed for up to five years, or both.

And it is not just sellers who could be guilty. Criminal lawyer Josephus Tan said: "Buying a fake item and using it is itself an infringement."
    - See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor....UJ9lLTA9.dpuf

The watch on the left is the real thing. The serial number is engraved on the original. On the counterfeit, it is laser embossed.ST PHOTOS: LAU FOOK KONG - See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor....UJ9lLTA9.dpuf
    (Big Watch Siao)
    BALL
    Rolex
    Panerai
    Omega
    Cartier
    Panerai
    IWC

willing buyer,willing seller.

same for all branded items as long there is a big price difference and the quality is comparable.

Comment

as long people don't pass of the fakes as real product and try to resell it.
      (Big Watch Siao)
      BALL
      Rolex
      Panerai
      Omega
      Cartier
      Panerai
      IWC

Comment

yeap i agree it depeends on the person

Comment

I think the seller tio kap a certain time liaoz... his blog already closed for some period, other sales channels such as gumtree or carousell also hilang.
          Anyway... one of my FT colleague in the company does made a contact and bought i think 2 piece from the seller before his employment contract period ends here couple of months ago, and have to go back to Korea for his NS. Even other staff who owned the real deal cannot determine how fake he fakies can be... except when one of the staff who recently flipped his piece by winding the movement, and me by looking onto the glass for reflective coating(which was a lucky guess)...but i still can't tell whether it is a fake, i had 40% confidence on that...
          I am not an expert on telling fakes, but most of the fakes i came across have very significant flaws on the dial, as well as other parts of the watch.

The fakes of current days are of very high qualities that cannot be compared to the Thai fakes we come across numbers of years ago. Today's fakes are relying alot on CAD and CNC on the exterior looks, and quality internals for the movement under the dial.

Let's play a game and see how good you can identify.
          Here are 2 Rolex YatchMaster. One is real, another is dud... which one is real???

Comment

left is ori ? telling from the bracelet itself

Comment

I'll try.......... left one is fake?
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

i feel left is fake though I know nuts about YM.

Comment

I would guess both are fake

Comment

My guess....none are real...

Comment

Originally posted by gatakx
                      the left one is a bad fake
                      very poor quality
                      that being said, the right one could be a AAAAA grade
                      cant tell from photos alone
                      need a 10x loupe to inspect the actual watch

Use a loupe, for sure can see the flaws on the fake one.

Comment

I originally joined up here because I am going to SG and was thinking of buying a Rolex. Say if I do that then how do I know it is not a fake if it is a preowned one? I read somewhere on here that RSC verification is a 2 day service and I am only there 3 days over a weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Colombiano View Post
                          I originally joined up here because I am going to SG and was thinking of buying a Rolex. Say if I do that then how do I know it is not a fake if it is a preowned one? I read somewhere on here that RSC verification is a 2 day service and I am only there 3 days over a weekend
                          send your watch into RSC in the morning and you should get your watch back in the afternoon.

also let them know you are a foreigner and you have a plane to catch too, they will usually give priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Luke View Post
                            send your watch into RSC in the morning and you should get your watch back in the afternoon.

also let them know you are a foreigner and you have a plane to catch too, they will usually give priority.
                            Brilliant, thanks a lot for the info. And it is open at weekends?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X