• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discipline: It’s not about punishment, it’s about achievement

Discipline: It’s not about punishment, it’s about achievement

Published Tuesday, May 05, 2009 9:48 AM
    By Valentine Williams
    The Gazette

When most people think about discipline or hear about discipline thoughts of punishment quickly invade their minds. They think of what they heard teachers say about disciplining them or what happens at home. Parents do say they are going to discipline a child and teachers do say the same things. In a sense they are both wrong. No one can discipline anyone. Teachers or parents can correct and punish but they can’t discipline anyone. The only person who can discipline you is you. Anyone can correct you.
    Some people might even be in a position to punish you, but they can’t discipline you. Only you can do that for yourself.

It is the hope of the parent or teacher or authority figure that their correction and punishment will result in your developing discipline when it comes to that matter, but it is not a given. Some people would even go as far as to say that in the majority of cases certain kinds of punishment doesn’t yield or produce discipline. Fear of punishment will quickly yield obedience or compliance, at least for a while. But that doesn’t mean the individual has learned or developed discipline.
    My experience with the school system for example is that their focus is not discipline. It takes more time and effort than they can give. Their goal is obedience or compliance.

What they call disciplinary measures are really steps to stop a particular behavior that they consider unhelpful, distracting, or even detrimental to learning or a learning environment. Their goal is compliance.

With compliance, if you take away the threat of punishment in most cases the individual will return to the old behavior. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t seek obedience or compliance. Sometimes it takes obedience for a person to discover the value of doing or not doing certain things. Once they have internalized that doing or not doing the thing they were punished for is of great benefit to them, and it is a benefit they desire, then they begin to behave in a disciplined manner in regard to that thing. In other words whether the threat of punishment is present or not they will do that thing because they have learned and they desire the benefits. Discipline is a wonderful thing. Here are three reasons why.
    When you are a disciplined person you can obey or comply with a request without the threat of punishment. With a disciplined person the question is not whether punishment is attached to the request or not. The issue is it is a reasonable request given the situation, so they comply. A disciplined person does not look around to see if anyone is watching or if they will get caught. They don’t play hide and seek. They do it because it is the right thing to do.

The second reason is a natural progression from the first. They do not get into as many conflicts with other people and others don’t have to be constantly watching them. Working with a disciplined person is a breeze. You know they are going to do what they are supposed to do. There are no negative surprises. If there are surprises they will be pleasant ones.

The third reason is that you cannot excel in any area in life unless you are disciplined in that particular area. Look around you and identify anyone who has experienced great success in any area of life and you will observe that they were very disciplined in that particular aspect of their life.

Being a parent, I am enlightened after reading the above article....

Comment

abang!! you given me a fright!!! suddenly your english swim like Olympic GOLD medalist!! Nice article 116520! Thanks!!

Comment

i dont have discipline...that is why i do nto experience great success

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
        Discipline: It’s not about punishment, it’s about achievement

Published Tuesday, May 05, 2009 9:48 AM
        By Valentine Williams
        The Gazette

The third reason is that you cannot excel in any area in life unless you are disciplined in that particular area. Look around you and identify anyone who has experienced great success in any area of life and you will observe that they were very disciplined in that particular aspect of their life.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

ha ha... I wish I can write such good article. My English sucks due to my poor background of that language but improving...

I hope you guys enjoy it, I find the article makes you think "deeper" being a parent like myself.

Originally posted by louie View Post
          abang!! you given me a fright!!! suddenly your english swim like Olympic GOLD medalist!! Nice article 116520! Thanks!!

Comment

in my younger days, the cane is my parent's form of discipline. this article shld hv written 3 decades ago so my era can be spared the "caning is to discipline" concept lor........

Comment

ha ha ha.. cane already no choice loh, now don't cane your kids can already loh...
              Originally posted by majortom View Post
              in my younger days, the cane is my parent's form of discipline. this article shld hv written 3 decades ago so my era can be spared the "caning is to discipline" concept lor........

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                ha ha ha.. cane already no choice loh, now don't cane your kids can already loh...
                ya, kids are very fortunate now.........

Comment

Originally posted by majortom View Post
                  everytime bring report card back home sure kena rotan big time! too many red marks... than i will run like Olympic runner all over the house away from my mother's rotan... children today yes very fortunate...good thing or bad,time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post
                    everytime bring report card back home sure kena rotan big time! too many red marks... than i will run like Olympic runner all over the house away from my mother's rotan... children today yes very fortunate...good thing or bad,time will tell.
                    hahaha...nice one mate. too bad our government did not see the "athletic" potential in us during those years. or else, who needs foreign imports when our local runners can do equally well in olympic think i off topic liao!

Comment

now you wana to buy rotan oso hard to source liao..hahaha..i tink hard to find liao..
                      Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

*** EMMANUEL***

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                          now you wana to buy rotan oso hard to source liao..hahaha..i tink hard to find liao..
                          ah neh shop no longer sells rotans?! i remembered some more got different thickness and lengths...don't tell me now rotans banned for "home use" in Sg now?

Comment

u cane kids and the next day they go sch,u sure get a home visit from teachers....hahahaha....later kana child abuse case leh...
                            Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

After reading the article, I can there are many disciplined person in this forum....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X