X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mas Selamat Captured...

May 8, 2009
    Mas Selamat captured

Fugitive who escaped from Whitley detention centre last year is tracked down and captured in Johor after tip-off from Singapore; he is being held for interrogation by Malaysia
    By Leslie Lopez
    KUALA LUMPUR: Thirteen months after his audacious escape from detention in Singapore, Mas Selamat Kastari has been caught in Malaysia.
    Singapore's most wanted terrorist was captured on April 1 while hiding in Johor, regional intelligence sources told The Straits Times.

It is believed that he was nabbed in the outskirts of Johor Baru and is now being held by the Malaysian authorities for interrogation.

It is not known how he slipped out of Singapore or when he entered Malaysia.

Although he was arrested six weeks ago, the Malaysian authorities have not yet announced the capture.

A senior Malaysian government official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the arrest and said that Mas Selamat was being held under the country's Internal Security Act.

He declined to say when the terrorist would be handed over to the Singapore authorities.

It is believed that the fugitive had stayed in Johor all this time and had not travelled further north. He is also believed to be detained in Johor.

Sources told The Straits Times that the 48-year-old was tracked down based on intelligence provided by Singapore's Internal Security Department (ISD), and a joint operation by Malaysia and Singapore's security agencies eventually led to his arrest.

The capture of Mas Selamat brings to an end one of the largest manhunts ever undertaken by Singapore and its neighbours for a terrorist on the run.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

GOOD JOB SINGAPORE !

*** EMMANUEL***

Comment

Caught by 'Truly Asia' .... :P

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Escape by 'flotation device'

WANTED terrorist Mas Selamat Kastari used an 'improvised flotation device' in his dash to freedom out of Singapore's northern shore to Johor.
        This happened 'soon after' his escape from the Whitley Detention Centre on Feb 27 last year where he was being held under the Internal Securtiy Act.
        These details were disclosed by Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kang Seng at a press conference on Friday.
        Mr Wong said that, as far as the authorities know, no local Jemaah Islamiah network was involved in aiding Mas Selamat's dash from Whitley to Singapore's northern shore.
        Mas Selamat was arrested on Apr 1 by Malaysian authorities after a tip-off from the Singapore side late last year.
        The Singapore government was told of the arrest soon after it occurred, said Mr Wong, who is also Home Affairs Minister.
        No date has been fixed to return Mas Selamat to Singapore. 'The Malaysian authorities want to interview him and in good time he will be returned to Singapore,' Mr Wong said.
        He added that the arrest is the result of the strong co-operation between security agencies on both sides. Intelligence leads provided by Singapore's Internal Security Department late last year played a key role leading to the capture.
        In Kuala Lumpur, Malaysian Home Minister Hishamuddin Hussein on Friday confirmed that Mas Selamat has been captured and is being held under internal security laws.
        He said the Jemaah Islamiah militant, who has been on the run for over a year, is being interrogated by Malaysian, Indonesian and Singaporean officials. 'He was planning something that allowed us to arrest him,' said Mr Hishamuddin, declining to give more details on his arrest and whereabouts.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Escape by 'flotation device'

WANTED terrorist Mas Selamat Kastari used an 'improvised flotation device' in his dash to freedom out of Singapore's northern shore to Johor.
          This happened 'soon after' his escape from the Whitley Detention Centre on Feb 27 last year where he was being held under the Internal Securtiy Act.
          These details were disclosed by Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kang Seng at a press conference on Friday.
          Mr Wong said that, as far as the authorities know, no local Jemaah Islamiah network was involved in aiding Mas Selamat's dash from Whitley to Singapore's northern shore.
          Mas Selamat was arrested on Apr 1 by Malaysian authorities after a tip-off from the Singapore side late last year.
          The Singapore government was told of the arrest soon after it occurred, said Mr Wong, who is also Home Affairs Minister.
          No date has been fixed to return Mas Selamat to Singapore. 'The Malaysian authorities want to interview him and in good time he will be returned to Singapore,' Mr Wong said.
          He added that the arrest is the result of the strong co-operation between security agencies on both sides. Intelligence leads provided by Singapore's Internal Security Department late last year played a key role leading to the capture.
          In Kuala Lumpur, Malaysian Home Minister Hishamuddin Hussein on Friday confirmed that Mas Selamat has been captured and is being held under internal security laws.
          He said the Jemaah Islamiah militant, who has been on the run for over a year, is being interrogated by Malaysian, Indonesian and Singaporean officials. 'He was planning something that allowed us to arrest him,' said Mr Hishamuddin, declining to give more details on his arrest and whereabouts.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

don let him go toilet liaoz!!
            I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by UncleLau View Post
              GOOD JOB SINGAPORE !

And some say mar-lay-sia
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Hor say man!!!!

Now Customer checks can relax liao. Thought his JI net work big?

FROM NOW ON Mas Selamat will wear ADULT SIZE DIAPERS
                Every Rolex tells a story

Comment

as the old saying goes, malaysia boleh!
                  [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                  Blue 6694
                  Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                  [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

I thought it is the MALAYSIAN police who caught him??

Originally posted by UncleLau View Post
                    GOOD JOB SINGAPORE !

Comment

actually im more interested to know if he will escape again.....
                      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                      1. subject heading indicating your issue
                      2. your nick
                      3. your corresponding email address
                      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                        actually im more interested to know if he will escape again.....
                        Bor chance liao... his gonna be on Diapers for the rest of his life
                        Every Rolex tells a story

Comment

Hear he is going to a new prison cell in Turf City where that are plenty of horses ..... that will RIDE HIM !!!!!

*** EMMANUEL***

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X