X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy with 'low IQ' arrested for slamming chair at MP Cynthia Phua’s Office

By Ng Tze Yong, The New Paper
    06 May 2009

A youth with low IQ has been arrested by police after flying into a rage at a Meet-the-People session (MPS), upset at what he felt was his MP’s cold-shoulder treatment of his mother’s financial plight.

The 17 year old boy hoisted an aluminium foldable chair over his head and slammed it against a glass door seconds after walking out of MP Cynthia Phua’s Serangoon North office with his mother.

The boy, who has been released on bail, has been told to report back to police on 12 May, where he may be charged with committing a rash act.

The offence carries a jail term of up to six months and a fine of up to $2,500.

The youth cannot be named because of impending court proceedings.

This is the third incident in recent months involving MPs and their constituents.

The boy and this mother, 53, are familiar faces to the grassroots volunteers at the MPS.

The unwed mother with Primary 6 education gets by on a $400 monthly salary as a part-time cleaner.

He attended a special school and suffers from thalassemia, a blood disorder that renders him weak and sickly.

The mother said that things went from bad to worse in November 2004 when the boy’s father disappeared and stopped paying the $300 monthly maintenance due to her.

As a result, she visited the MPS about once a month for the past few years to request for various kinds of financial aid.

January this year saw a crisis unfold in their lives when the mother broke her wrist after falling off a chair while cleaning a fan. She hasn’t worked since.

She said the HDB was then in the middle of repossessing her flat and giving her a rental unit, but she was unable to pay the $138 in rental deposit and stamp duty.

So last Monday, she went to the office at Block 125, Serangoon North Ave 1, where MP Lim Hwee Hua holds her MPS, hoping to have her sign an appeal letter for HDB.

But that day, Mrs Lim, who is also a minister in the Prime Minister’s Office, was abroad. Fellow Aljunied GRC MP Cynthia Phua stood in for her.

The mother’s request was granted — Madam Phua signed the letter — but mother and son left fuming, claiming that Madam Phua had put them down.

She claimed that shortly after they had entered the office, Madam Phua asked her son a series of questions:

“She asked him, ‘Who are you? What are you doing? Why aren’t you working?’” she claimed.

The mother said she wanted to explain her son’s condition, but wasn’t given a chance.

“I felt that we were being scolded,” she said.

The meeting ended after two or three minutes, she said.

As they were walking out, the son snapped.

His outburst with the chair — two blows against the glass door, which didn’t break — was “Strong enough to get someone killed”, said the Serangoon PAP branch secretary, Mr Poon Mun Wat.

As grassroots volunteers scrambled to calm down the teenager, his mother begged a neighbor to whisk him home immediately.

Later that night, the police arrived at their flat and arrested him. He was released on bail at about 1am.

The mother subsequently returned to the MPS again alone and clutching a handwritten letter of apology from her son.

“Please forgive me for what I did. I am sincerely sorry,” the teenager had written in big, neat handwriting.

The apology, however, was not acceptable to Mrs Lim, who was back chairing the MPS after returning from abroad.

“I made it very clear to (the mother) that this is unacceptable behavior. It is not justifiable in any circumstance. There is no excuse to be violent,” Mrs Lim told The New Paper.

She also explained that she was not in a position to excuse or forgive the boy.

“I was not present and the police are investigating into the matter. I believe the police will take into consideration the mitigating factors,” said Mrs Lim.
    "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

there is a saying, don't provoke a cornered dog cause it will bite!

my personal view is to forgive and forget.. it is after all a trying period for all and those at the bottom rung of the ladder is most affected...

having said this, i must say that i do not know under what circumstances it happened... i just hope the okays spare some thought for the not so okays...

even animals care for their own kind...
    In The Bag
    Him
    Tissot PR100 AutoQuartz T14.1.489.11, Longines Dolce Vita L56554736, Rolex SS Submariner 16610, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Glycine Airman SST 06 Ref:3856.186-D8, Seiko Blue Ti Samurai SBDA003, Diver SKX007J, Black Sumo SBDC001, Tuna Can SBBN007, Orange Monster SKX781, Vintage Diver 6309-7040, Vintage Bellmatic 4006-7002
    Her
    Tissot PR50 T27.2.281.13, Longines Dolce Vita L51584736

Next Target
    Damned! My wife's list is not growing...Rolex MOP Datejust for Missus...

Comment

when u are too high up, you will start to lose contact with the ground...

anyway, i agree that shouldnt turn violent.
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

No comment, I wasn't there... sorry...

Comment

as a saying goes, there is no smoke without fire..

come on lah, given ordinary circumstances, the 17 year old boy where got will suka suka go ji siao mp when he need help?

"
          She claimed that shortly after they had entered the office, Madam Phua asked her son a series of questions:

“She asked him, ‘Who are you? What are you doing? Why aren’t you working?’” she claimed.

The mother said she wanted to explain her son’s condition, but wasn’t given a chance."

most of us here in rolex club, got food, got shelter, they all is like, everything also going to toh already..and somemore if we treat them like this..please lah..of course normal people will also become crazy, since they are desperate..

"
          January this year saw a crisis unfold in their lives when the mother broke her wrist after falling off a chair while cleaning a fan. She hasn’t worked since.

She said the HDB was then in the middle of repossessing her flat and giving her a rental unit, but she was unable to pay the $138 in rental deposit and stamp duty."

no flat to stay leh bros!! if im the 17 year old son, i will also be damn emotional 1 leh..imagine no home, no food..how many of us got experience it?

..they are not there to create trouble 1..they are genuine help seekers..
          Opportunities come once

Comment

Poor boy.

Originally posted by Mille View Post
            as a saying goes, there is no smoke without fire..

come on lah, given ordinary circumstances, the 17 year old boy where got will suka suka go ji siao mp when he need help?

"

The mother said she wanted to explain her son’s condition, but wasn’t given a chance."

most of us here in rolex club, got food, got shelter, they all is like, everything also going to toh already..and somemore if we treat them like this..please lah..of course normal people will also become crazy, since they are desperate..

"

She said the HDB was then in the middle of repossessing her flat and giving her a rental unit, but she was unable to pay the $138 in rental deposit and stamp duty."

no flat to stay leh bros!! if im the 17 year old son, i will also be damn emotional 1 leh..imagine no home, no food..how many of us got experience it?

..they are not there to create trouble 1..they are genuine help seekers..
            100% agreed .
            Felt sorry for them , hopes everything turns out well for them .
            Focal JM_Labs .
            "The Sprits Of Sounds".

Rolex WG Daytona D series Silver dial 116509
            Rolex RG DD II with pink diamond dial V Series 218235
            Rolex YG President DD with Diamond and Ruby 18038
            Rolex Explorer I Black D series 114270
            Rolex DJ TT Grey Dial 16233
            Rolex Precision 6694 Black Dial
            Rolex Precision 6694 Silver Dial
            Rolex Oyster Perpetual Z series black dial 176200
            Panerai 233K 8 days power reserve
            Cartier Santos 100XL
            Hublot Big Bang Edition 44mm

Comment

I'm beginning to doubt whether these ppl at top really serve e ppl with compassion and empathy. Actually 3 incidents already, cannot be coincidence, these ppl must have been quite pompous or too 'atas' when talking to these ppl... hope all is gd for e boy n e mother.
              "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

Firstly it would be wrong to be emo to such an extend.

He may not have been given the chance to defend himself but there is no room for total chaos.

Would it be right to kill someone just because he emo?
                Every Rolex tells a story

Comment

Originally posted by NaesHaes View Post
                  Firstly it would be wrong to be emo to such an extend.

He may not have been given the chance to defend himself but there is no room for total chaos.

Would it be right to kill someone just because he emo?
                  boy might be artistic (goes special school)?

for them, they find it hard to show their emotions and get frustrated easily. I have a relative with an artistic child. he screams and cries and throw tantrums easily as he find it hard to convey messages across to his parents. Not his fault (I mean my relative's child).
                  I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Do ya know...25% of Singaporeans are millionaire. And another 25% is of lower income family.
                    I own a Rolex !

Comment

im not surprised that this MP kenna from the boy. IIRC there was another incident where flammable liquid was thrown and ignited
                      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                      Blue 6694
                      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

yes.. you remembered correctly!.. took me a while to think what the hell was IIRC.. i tot people also talk abt this in IRC chat channels...
                        In The Bag
                        Him
                        Tissot PR100 AutoQuartz T14.1.489.11, Longines Dolce Vita L56554736, Rolex SS Submariner 16610, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Glycine Airman SST 06 Ref:3856.186-D8, Seiko Blue Ti Samurai SBDA003, Diver SKX007J, Black Sumo SBDC001, Tuna Can SBBN007, Orange Monster SKX781, Vintage Diver 6309-7040, Vintage Bellmatic 4006-7002
                        Her
                        Tissot PR50 T27.2.281.13, Longines Dolce Vita L51584736

Next Target
                        Damned! My wife's list is not growing...Rolex MOP Datejust for Missus...

Comment

Originally posted by Nooch View Post
                          By Ng Tze Yong, The New Paper
                          06 May 2009

But that day, Mrs Lim, who is also a minister in the Prime Minister’s Office, was abroad. Fellow Aljunied GRC MP Cynthia Phua stood in for her.

The mother’s request was granted — Madam Phua signed the letter — but mother and son left fuming, claiming that Madam Phua had put them down.

The mother said she wanted to explain her son’s condition, but wasn’t given a chance.

“I felt that we were being scolded,” she said.

__________________________________________________ _______________

The apology, however, was not acceptable to Mrs Lim, who was back chairing the MPS after returning from abroad.

“I made it very clear to (the mother) that this is unacceptable behavior. It is not justifiable in any circumstance. There is no excuse to be violent,” Mrs Lim told The New Paper.

She also explained that she was not in a position to excuse or forgive the boy.

“I was not present and the police are investigating into the matter. I believe the police will take into consideration the mitigating factors,” said Mrs Lim.
                          I feel these are the 2 points that trigger the incident...
                          The mother and son are desperate in need of help and here we have some grc mp shooting her mouth as she like..
                          Did she ever think with her brain that when dealing with poor ppl some small tease or jest might be interpreted wrongly...How she become mp of the people is a joke.
                          Any secondly the other whom came abroad should give benefilt of doubt to the mother and son instead of leaving it into the hands of the police...
                          Care for the poor and represent the public by PXX
                          You don't have to look too far to see the truth.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

You cannot judge the incident just based on the story reported in news...

Originally posted by Tomaski33 View Post
                            I feel these are the 2 points that trigger the incident...
                            The mother and son are desperate in need of help and here we have some grc mp shooting her mouth as she like..
                            Did she ever think with her brain that when dealing with poor ppl some small tease or jest might be interpreted wrongly...How she become mp of the people is a joke.
                            Any secondly the other whom came abroad should give benefilt of doubt to the mother and son instead of leaving it into the hands of the police...
                            Care for the poor and represent the public by PXX
                            You don't have to look too far to see the truth.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X