X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will you buy from name-calling sellers

some sellers like to give names to buyers in their threads
    eg 'lonely hearts', 'dreamers', 'photo collectors', 'lowballers', etc etc

i did a little experiment on one such seller recently, to see what's his reaction when called the same names which he had been using on others
    turned out he became very defensive, seem like he could call people names but cant tahan being called the very same names

will you buy from such a seller? (poll: Yes or No)
    Yes
    15.00%
    No
    85.00%

It depends on the situation. But I do get turn off when I see such 'labelling' by sellers in their sales threads, like what you have mentioned. At times, I did want to make an approach to ask about the watches I was keen in but since I might be slapped with such 'labels', I stop the approach.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.”
      Eric Hoffer, American writer

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
        At times, I did want to make an approach to ask about the watches I was keen in but since I might be slapped with such 'labels', I stop the approach.
        +1

I understand seller's point of view. To stop all this low balling and inconvenient messages/calls, they would indicate in their post likewise but the choice of words and name calling are not necessary (in my opinion), in hope that it will deter exactly those types of buyers. And like Ocean, I didn't bother to ask for I might be called names in return.

My take on certain choice of words:-

'lonely hearts' - Aren't we all are at times? That's why there are forums like this to fill in the void space when we need that someone or a group to understand the sickness (passion) for this wonderful hobby?

'dreamers' - I am guilty of it. Aren't you? Guilty of dreaming for that next piece. Dreaming of that unobtainable piece. Dreaming of owning many many more pieces.

'lowballers' - This is part and parcel of this hobby. Not everyone agrees with the selling price and not everyone accept the buying price. If anyone lowball, just ignore the offer, why make yourself difficult by replying and getting yourself agitated? Unless its getting constantly persistent, then a single reply is enough to tell him your last best price and its final. Keep low balling you again, again just ignore. But understand this, this is how the nature of this hobby works. Embrace it. It's entertaining at times.

'photo collectors' - I really don't understand this one. If someone asked to be send more pictures means that the post does not have enough for buyers to consider. And with technology nowadays, point and snap, camera phones, difficult to provide more pics or just plain lazy? I would avoid dealing with sellers like this as it just proved they are bo chap and not a motivated seller and want the fastest results with minimal effort.

p.s. most of the time, we all KNOW how a certain watch model looks like BUT still need photos of the actual watch is exactly for that reason, to see the ACTUAL watch. Difficult?

Cheers.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
        it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
        How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
        That's how winning is done.'

Comment

Actually stating lowballers in a sales thread is ok by me... but photo collectors and lonely hearts and dreamers are seriously not ok...
          HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION
          ROLEX SUBMARINER 116613LBD 8 POINT DIAMOND DIAL "G" SERIAL
          Rolex Submariner TT 16613LN "s" series<<<[TRADED]
          Rolex Datejust 1601 "5 mil" series<<<[SOLD]
          Breitling Sirius Automatic 18K/SS B10071<<<[SOLD]
          TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Date CV2010
          G-Shock mudman g9300 ( daily beater )

HER'S
          Rolex ladies datejust
          vintage Cartier tank 18k
          TAG Heuer Formula 1 ceramic diamonds

Comment

Originally posted by Ryuden View Post
            'photo collectors' - I really don't understand this one. If someone asked to be send more pictures means that the post does not have enough for buyers to consider. And with technology nowadays, point and snap, camera phones, difficult to provide more pics or just plain lazy? I would avoid dealing with sellers like this as it just proved they are bo chap and not a motivated seller and want the fastest results with minimal effort...
            i don't usually post photos of my watches if i can help it - firstly because some people don't like photos of their "next" watch floating around the internet. and to modify it to block out all the relevant numbers IS more tedious. i am personally guilty of this - i usually ask a seller to agree to remove the photos once the money has been wired.

otherwise it's because it's tedious. as i have an ftp service, i don't use external image hosts - but this means i have to crop/resize, remove all details, fire up ftp client, upload, check all the images are okay, then paste the links with BB codes...

if i take a photo from my cell, i usually attach it as an email (multiple attachments) to myself, then download it on my laptop before doing the above.

i am not in the habit of watermarking but i know many people do. as i get older, the time required to load software (if they are still in my current laptop) takes longer. personally selling watches also become more tedious - which is why we have private dealers/auction houses that can also sell on our behalf (for a cut of course).

i have no problems sending photos by whatsapp or email - it's fairly fast and convenient and i know the image is probably not going to be re-uploaded online. that's my hope anyway...

BUT i have a problem with people who contact me requesting for photos, and i send it and... that's it. no "thank you" or "thanks, but no, thanks"... they just disappear.

it can get incredibly annoying once you have a long list of chats opened in whatsapp whereby it's just a whole bunch of photos i have attached and a long explanation of the watch and... silence. that's also pretty darn rude.

other times, a near mint or never worn watch doesn't need pictures. yet we still see people asking for photos. what's the point? a google search will suffice.

a bad FS post is one without sufficient details. if the post is detailed, it would be unfair to conclude the seller is unmotivated or bo chup (to be fair, such sellers exist).

as for lowballers... i'm okay with that - but don't give me a long list of reasons why you cannot afford my price because i reject your offer, then hold my watch hostage for another 60 minutes while the deal drags on... and then start to pick fault with everything. perhaps the ones i meet often are a combination of all the above (dreamer + lonely heart + low baller + etc...).

i don't think i'm asking for much. treat others the same way you expect to be treated.
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
              i have no problems sending photos by whatsapp or email - it's fairly fast and convenient and i know the image is probably not going to be re-uploaded online. that's my hope anyway...

BUT i have a problem with people who contact me requesting for photos, and i send it and... that's it. no "thank you" or "thanks, but no, thanks"... they just disappear.
              That's what I meant providing more pics, whatsapp is a norm or in fact THE means of communication nowadays as uploading and creating watermark photos are troublesome at times and worst, some image hosting site have limited bandwidth (unless you pay). But some just don't care to provide some even through whatsapp.

Yes there are bound to happened, after sending numerous photos, the connection went dead just like that. In my own personal opinion, its very similar to low balling. Instead of giving thousand and one reasons why he cannot meet my price, this one just never bother to respond with even the simplest of words, Thank You.

Comment

a bad FS post is one without sufficient details. if the post is detailed, it would be unfair to conclude the seller is unmotivated or bo chup (to be fair, such sellers exist).
                I get what you mean by "detailed post", but some can relate better through pictures than words and this is base on my own experience. After explaining thoroughly about the piece I am selling, all he said was, "Bro can just send me some pics of the watch? I read until I also blur. See pics easier." I don't know is it my English too chim or that bad until he blur.

perhaps the ones i meet often are a combination of all the above (dreamer + lonely heart + low baller + etc...).
                I have met low baller + story teller + lonely heart + stalker + dreamer... I believe we all have.

treat others the same way you expect to be treated.

Thats the code I live by.

Last edited by Ryuden; 29-07-14, 02:26 PM.

Comment

aiya, buy will still buy if the watch is the 1 u r searching for n if the offer is reasonable, whether seller call pple wat name.jus recognize tat some pple r less patient than others

Comment

Originally posted by Caliber View Post
                    aiya, buy will still buy if the watch is the 1 u r searching for n if the offer is reasonable, whether seller call pple wat name.jus recognize tat some pple r less patient than others
                    true for most people but not for all.
                    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

it can get incredibly annoying once you have a long list of chats opened in whatsapp whereby it's just a whole bunch of photos i have attached and a long explanation of the watch and... silence. that's also pretty darn rude.

This is especially true and I totally agree with you. Pictures sent but radio silence after that....not even a thank you note whatsoever....simply rude.

Comment

That y I seldom post pics. If u want, offer a price and meet up and see for yourself. If ok we deal, if not it ok too, no forcing

Comment

not ok Lah! shows lack of respect and also indicates that the seller lacks patience and would be difficult to deal with

Unless the watch is something i have been dying to buy ...which rarely is the case....i would stay clear of these characters

Comment

Lowballers are harder to deal with. They will strike you with a ridiculously low price and then ask for your lowest.
                            When asked about their highest offer, they vanish.
                            If you don't want to be called a low baller, don't act like one.

Worst lots must be the photo collectors with no thank yous or follow up. They deserve what they are called.
                            If you want sellers to respect you, respect them too. What makes buyers so special?
                            Nobody calls you names if you don't earn them.
                            I have been a buyer and seller many times and got mostly played out by buyers.
                            Last edited by polarinda; 07-08-14, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by polarinda View Post
                              Lowballers are harder to deal with. They will strike you with a ridiculously low price and then ask for your lowest.
                              When asked about their highest offer, they vanish.
                              If you don't want to be called a low baller, don't act like one.

Worst lots must be the photo collectors with no thank yous or follow up. They deserve what they are called.
                              If you want sellers to respect you, respect them too. What makes buyers so special?
                              Nobody calls you names if you don't earn them.
                              I have been a buyer and seller many times and got mostly played out by buyers.
                              True true.
                              For me it's easy, give one solid price, make decisiom
                              Give time give place. Full cash done deal.
                              Same as a buyer or a seller.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X