Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Ming Yi news.....

http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/As...21-136618.html

The monk is found to have purchased three upscale properties in Singapore and owned a BMW in Melbourne, Australia as recently as two years ago. -AsiaOne

Tue, Apr 21, 2009
    AsiaOne
    Also Read:
    » Excerpts from the court proceedings

The ex-chief of Ren Ci Hospital broke down several times as he took the stand today, Wanbao reported. He told the court how he became a monk, how he became abbot of Foo Hai Ch'an monastery and how he set up Ren Ci.

The monk, 47, is facing four charges for making an unauthorised loan from Ren Ci's coffers to his ex-personal aide Raymond Yeung in 2004. Yeung faces two charges related to the same case.

The court proceedings revealed that the monk has three properties under his name. The properties are located in upscale areas at Orchard, Stevens Road and Holland Road.

According the Wanbao report, the properties were purchased with the help of a wealthy woman from Brunei as well as contributions from devotees. Ming Yi also revealed in court that he lived in one of these properties with other monks when the Foo Hai Ch'an monastery was under construction.

He also told the court that he is one of the listed owners of three other properties, including The Cornwall, a condominium at Holland Road. These properties were purchased using Foo Hai Ch’an monastery’s money and were meant to be investments, Wanbao reported.

The monk stressed that none of Ren Ci’s money was used in the purchase of all the properties.

Lianhe Wanbao also reported that Ming Yi once owned a BMW which he purchased in Melbourne, Australia.
    Ming Yi told auditors in December 2007 that the payments made on his credit card to BMW were not for car parts as previously claimed, but for the purchase of a car. The payments were all made in Melbourne.

But when the auditors questioned him on how he could arrange to pay for a car by credit card, Ming Yi changed his statement, saying that he forgot which car parts were purchased at that time.

The monk added that the BMW in question was sold in 2007, and that the car belongs to him. His then personal assistant Raymond Yeung, owns a second-hand car, which was subsequently sold.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

aiyooo.. dig dig more come out.. what's next??
    I'm a super low-baller

Comment

The media is going too far....

The monk is found to have purchased three upscale properties in Singapore and owned a BMW in Melbourne, Australia as recently as two years ago

Whatz wrong with monk owning 3 properties and a BMW??? Any law stating that Monk can't own properties or cars??? Owning 3 properties and a BMW got what to do with the case? Media....
      Have you seen the other religious leaders taking buses? I mean leaders....

Comment

modern monks now is totally different...or shld i also say depending on which country monk... I've seen monk drive merc E class to funeral.(NOT coe merc hor...but the latest model!)

Comment

personally, I'm sad to see the trouble he is now in, especially how his reputation has been forever tarnished.
          one mistake and all his hard work and good deeds have been forgotten.
          it is also quite clear to me that there are certain segments of society who take much delight in his fall from grace.
          i also wonder in this modern time and age, if our expectations of our leaders, esp religious leaders, are just too much.
          "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
          three times is enemy action and
          over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
          ."

Comment

If you profess to be a Buddhist monk and spread the teaching of Buddhism, shouldn't you emulate the Buddha? I don't remember the Buddha living a lavish lifestyle...in fact he left that all behind to seek enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
              personally, I'm sad to see the trouble he is now in, especially how his reputation has been forever tarnished.
              one mistake and all his hard work and good deeds have been forgotten.
              it is also quite clear to me that there are certain segments of society who take much delight in his fall from grace.
              i also wonder in this modern time and age, if our expectations of our leaders, esp religious leaders, are just too much.
              Yes, sad to see that someone who risked his life to raise fund for charity is in such trouble.
              My Small Collection :
              GMT II 16710 Coke U series
              JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
              Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
              Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
              Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
              PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
              BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

Originally posted by ejaan View Post
                If you profess to be a Buddhist monk and spread the teaching of Buddhism, shouldn't you emulate the Buddha? I don't remember the Buddha living a lavish lifestyle...in fact he left that all behind to seek enlightenment.
                okay this is the issue...time changed le.

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post
                  okay this is the issue...time changed le.
                  Sure, time changed.
                  But shouldnt religon leader be taking the lead to live " normally " instead of lavishly so that more can be given to the needy?

Eg : A Toyota is fine, why need a BMW or Merc?

Yes, agree they should move with time, but the basic teaching, should be the same, and the trust the devotees gave to them should not be used for their own "enjoyment".

If u remember Dulai, he is not a religion leader, but CEO of charity organisation, while we can understand that he should be paid fairly, we cannot accept him spending on unnecessary such as First class air ticket, gold plated tap, etc. using donation from public which is meant to help the needy.

Just purely my personal view
                  My Small Collection :
                  GMT II 16710 Coke U series
                  JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
                  Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
                  Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
                  Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
                  PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
                  BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

well...for me not a issue whether monks live a lavish or frugal life...it is their own choice..if they can afford with decent money y not...afterall they are still humans not gods...they do have whims and needs....as long it is within their own honest means....

P.S:i am not a monk...
                    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

that's the perception we always have... but off the top of my head, I really cannot think of any prominent religious leader, in Singapore or otherwise, who live a lifestyle totally devoid of his/ her success in a material sense...
                      ."

Comment

hahha, that's why Gautama is Buddha and MingYi is, at the end of the day, only a monk ...
                        ."

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                          ... but off the top of my head, I really cannot think of any prominent religious leader, in Singapore or otherwise, who live a lifestyle totally devoid of his/ her success in a material sense...
                          I agree with this, but it does not happen only in Singapore. This is why I believe the basic tenet of a religion, any religion, gets watered down through the generations.

Comment

I agree with this, but it does not happen only in Singapore. This is why I believe the basic tenet of a religion, any religion, gets watered down through the generations.
                            you are right, the teachings are watered down with the passing of time. actually if you think about it, the books or records of whatever teachings are recorded are based on the author's interpretation of the actual teachings... we have always assumed that such records and interpretations are accurate and faithful to the original message...what if they are not?
                            must be getting old that i actually spent time thinking on these kind of issues...or maybe because i just finished reading the complete set of The Preacher!
                            ."

Comment

Originally posted by rh1667 View Post
                              Sure, time changed.
                              But shouldnt religon leader be taking the lead to live " normally " instead of lavishly so that more can be given to the needy?

Eg : A Toyota is fine, why need a BMW or Merc?

Yes, agree they should move with time, but the basic teaching, should be the same, and the trust the devotees gave to them should not be used for their own "enjoyment".

If u remember Dulai, he is not a religion leader, but CEO of charity organisation, while we can understand that he should be paid fairly, we cannot accept him spending on unnecessary such as First class air ticket, gold plated tap, etc. using donation from public which is meant to help the needy.

Just purely my personal view
                              i asked myself this question 15 yrs ago when i first saw this monk drives a merc...and i was driving a suzuki 1300CC coupe.Howcome my ride so tiny,and his so BIG... I dun give a dame if you are driving a lorry or lambogini you still a human.As long you didnt cheat or harm anyone and its all your monies,you do whatever you pleased..doesnt bothers me. Whats wrong if a monk live in a condo,or whats wrong if he drives a beemer not a toyota...

Btw,toyota makes dame good cars too..

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X