buy watch from rude dealer @ lower price or pleasant dealer @ higher price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buy watch from rude dealer @ lower price or pleasant dealer @ higher price

most of the time, members will enquire about where to get the lowest price for a particular watch. is price the sole condition for buying a watch?

if you encounter a rude dealer who can offer you a watch @ lower price compared to a pleasant dealer who offer you a higher price considering that both dealers have similar watch, price is probably different like $500 but condition watch of watch is rated the same by buyer, package of watch aka include box and papers.

will you as a buyer be willing to pay more just for better service?

please vote and state your reason why for discussion.

thank you
    buy from rude dealer @ lower price
    37.93%
    buy from pleasant dealer @ higher price
    62.07%
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

I think this very much depends on individual personality and the kind of watch we are talking about. Firstly, how does one see rude as rude? There is a current thread where the TS felt he was being rude at, which few others responded otherwise. Secondly, the watch in question. Price aside, how rare and difficult it is to obtain the watch can be a strong determinant to how one will respond too.

I have a personal encounter with a seller of a watch which was reasonably priced and rare for its condition. Upon the first meet-up to view the watch, the seller refused to allow verification of authenticity at the watch's service centre, despite my face-to-face agreement to purchase the watch. But later, I realised the seller's valid concerns about verifying the watch at the service centre and the deal went thru' after much persuasion.

What appeared rude to me at the beginning of the conversation with the seller was him mentioning that if he knew I had to be so troublesome to want viewing and verification, he would not have met me to deal because he could easily find a 'more convenient' buyer for his watch, which I presumed he meant a buyer who would just meet and buy the watch immediately without any verification. I also recalled him mentioning that he had a buyer after me who was offering him a couple of hundreds more and no need to verify. But he kept to gentlemanliness and deal with me first.

I was upset at first because the seller was a regular and not a newbie, which I thought should have expected some form of basic trade preparedness. Especially when I thought my requests were legitimate and genuine. Anyhow, we managed to talk it out and he sounded really professional and reasonable later on. He was also honest and gentleman enough to hold the watch till the following day to go thru' the verification with me and we settled the deal smoothly and amicably.

So this begs the question - how will you react in my case if the watch is a regular model but selling at a lower price?
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

need to keep few factors constant.
      • there are 2 sellers in the market. one is rated as rude by buyer while the other is rated as pleasant by buyer
      • each seller has the same watch buyer is looking at.
      • the condition of the watch is rated the same by buyer
      • the price difference is 500.
      • the lower priced watch is sold by a rude dealer
      • the higher priced watch is sold by a pleasant dealer
      • ignore the fact the watch is rare find in the market or not.

given such factors. if you are a buyer who will you go to.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
      2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Based on the above parameters I would personally drop the deal. To me, the process of buying is as important as the process of hunting, and there are only so many watches one can buy (or is willing to hold). One has to pass 'prize' catch at some point in time, if not because of funding or timing then at least because it is not part of one's plan at that moment.

Conversely, if I were the seller, I would be very much inclined to deal with pleasant (and reasonable, rational) prospective buyers, as opposed to 'rude' buyers. In any case it is always very subjective - some people have a lower threshold for what is perceived to be 'rudeness', even if the other side does not mean it as such.

Appreciate OceanKlassik's point of view and defusing of what could have been a 'tricky' situation. May I speculate that it was a timepiece that OceanKlassik truly desired? The deal would not have gone through if there was no highly persuasive factor.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
          • there are 2 sellers in the market. one is rated as rude by buyer while the other is rated as pleasant by buyer

With all things 'constant' and equal, I will buy the less expensive watch.

Originally posted by Shanghaied View Post
          Based on the above parameters I would personally drop the deal. To me, the process of buying is as important as the process of hunting, and there are only so many watches one can buy (or is willing to hold). One has to pass 'prize' catch at some point in time, if not because of funding or timing then at least because it is not part of one's plan at that moment.

Conversely, if I were the seller, I would be very much inclined to deal with pleasant (and reasonable, rational) prospective buyers, as opposed to 'rude' buyers. In any case it is always very subjective - some people have a lower threshold for what is perceived to be 'rudeness', even if the other side does not mean it as such.

Appreciate OceanKlassik's point of view and defusing of what could have been a 'tricky' situation. May I speculate that it was a timepiece that OceanKlassik truly desired? The deal would not have gone through if there was no highly persuasive factor.
          I recognised that the seller was a genuine, 'no-nonsense' seller who wanted a quick and easy deal. So there was some "expectations" on each other which I think a proper communication would do good. As much as the seller vouched on his own respectable and honest reputation, I too, wanted him to understand that I needed some kind of security in such a purchase. I did not doubt the seller at any point in time throughout the deal. But I wanted to buy with a peace of mind. So the deal was successful eventually.

But I was prepared to lose it if the seller decided to withdraw or changed his mind to sell the watch to someone more 'convenient' and I would respect that. It's his watch after all. But I was glad it went through and we actually sat down for a good chat over a drink after the deal went thru'
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I would go for pleasant buyer.

Simple fact is - Buy thing must be happy. If I can't "look over" the $500, then I rather don't buy at all.

Comment

For above situation, I will very much like to drop the deal and take my time to look for another deal.

If die die have to choose one, I will go for the lower price... because $500 is considered not a small amount to me. I will just close one eye and save $500. :P

Comment

I always give my money to the nicer fella.

Kuailan with me and still get my money?
                No way!

In fact i also prefer to sell to nicer fella.
                Kuailan with me, i wont sell.

And to be fair, i am always very nice to my buyers and sellers.

Sorry maybe i am no more young and green and i can afford the money.
                So i dont accept punks and kuailan
                Last edited by Trinidad; 17-02-14, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
                  I always give my money to the nicer fella.

Kuailan with me and still get my money?
                  No way!

In fact i also prefer to sell to nicer fella.
                  Kuailan with me, i wont sell.

And to be fair, i am always very nice to my buyers and sellers.

Sorry maybe i am no more young and green and i can afford the money.
                  So i dont accept punks and kuailan
                  my exact sentiments. same principle applies to retailers...
                  I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                  A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                  Audemars Piguet ROO
                  Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                  De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                  Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                  Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                  Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                  IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                  Panerai 270
                  Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                  Rolex 116610LV
                  Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post

given these factors, i will deal with the cheaper rude seller.
                    I am not going to be face to face with that smelly face for long time, buy and go.
                    And its the watch i am after, not the seller.

but if i am to consider the aftersales services or followup, it will be different case.
                    在幻变的生命里, 岁月, 原来是最大的小偷...

Comment

I will go for the rude one with cheaper price...
                      Buy and go, never to see him again... maybe

Comment

$500 super different leh.
                        (please vote wisely)
                        $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$

Comment

cant live with the idea that everytime i look at my timepiece reminds me of a nasty experience...
                          unless it's meant to be flipped...

Comment

it is 7-7 now. some would choose to pay more to get better service. some would choose to save money and endure the bad service

kindly email with
                            2. your nick

Comment

I would rather go for pleasant buyer...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X