10 sales tactics that don’t work on me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clocking View Post
    What happen after that, shopper all run away, maybe shop close down, maybe shopper looking for other shopping mall, nothing to shop around here, why hang around.
    I never thought that my thread could be so powerful and influential. If so, maybe the mods want to consider removing this thread, haha.

I think you totally miss the point. I am a buyer as well as a seller myself.

You seem to imply that buyers on this forum may "suddenly" realise about such tactics and stay away from this forum. I think you under estimate the ability of judgement of the buyers/members in this forum. In the first place, this thread is not specifically referring to this forum, as I have mentioned "various forums" at the very first line of my first post.

And by implying that sellers have to "close shop" because of this, are you saying that most sellers rely on these tactics to sell their stuffs and cannot survive otherwise?

I knew this topic is sensitive, and that this thread could be provocative, but I am pretty sure most members understand where I am coming from after my below clarification.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
    Let me just clarify that I am by no mean saying that those tactics are bad practice that should not exist, although I did directly or indirectly express my disagreement on most of them.

I am saying that they don't work on me, and by saying that I am also questioning if such tactics and flowery words add value to a sales thread.

It is up to each and every forum member how they want to present a sale, so long as there is no false info and is within the forum rules. Obviously there are people who think these tactics help them to attract more viewings and to achieve the desired price more effectively.

My view is that ultimately what really sell an item are the price, the condition/age of the item, the demand, and the buyer's experience during the course of dealing. Personally, some of these tactics actually make me perceive the seller as being a tricky person, and I would prefer to deal with straight-forward sellers not tricky sellers
    I am hoping that the communications and dealings among members could become a little more straight-forward and friendly, so that both "shoppers" and "shops" would benefit.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by Tawfiq
      What I see is that these sale tactics that some of us here personally dislike is fine..... Dont like then skip lor =)

Look at it a brighter side , all these at the same time makes SGROC interesting to hunt for watch and thats the fun and enjoyment sometimes we get ... nothing is perfect , enjoy the hunt ...
      That I can agree

Comment

Originally posted by maxxam
        True, and I see it all the time esp those that put asking price and they lowered it every now and than.
        Haha... so true... I noticed that also. I normally don't start my sale thread with FIRM, unless I am very sure of the market price. I only use FIRM after a further reduction.

But I hate it when I stated FIRM already, buyer comes down, sees watch, cannot find any fault with it and then ask if I can further reduce the price. Then when I said price is firm, buyer played this tactic and say he won't want to buy then. Then I say nevermind it's okay then and started to pack the watch back into the box. And that's when he say okay, he'll take it. Zzzzzz.....

I almost wanted to tell him that sorry i decided to keep the watch already.

Comment

Originally posted by maxxam
          I just don't like it when they state as cheapest because I can get it cheaper.
          Can get it from where? You have to compare apple with apple, for example if you are a grey/private dealer you can't compare the price you can get from your source against the price these guys are selling to the consumers.

From my observation most of these claims of being cheapest are true in term of asking price, comparing with prices on the forums and from shops at that point of time.

Comment

I find the part 'keep the offers coming' disrespectful.....so u keep receiving offers (if there is really offer coming in)....and no end to it, u r just trying to wait for the offer that meet your price. in your mindset, if after a period of time still dun have offer that meets your price, u will then consider the highest offer sent to you. this is unfair to buyers because u literally just put their offers aside and come back to them as and when u like....y should the buyers wait for u at ur mercy?

Comment

Didn't know sales forum is so interesting.
              But I believe with right knowledge, will definitely be able to get a better (monetary) deal in forum than retail shops.

Comment

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with forumers wanting to make their sales pitch sounds interesting. To each his own, I felt it is perfectly fine.

It is really not easy to cut a good deal down here, unless the seller is really desperate for money. Buyers will always want to buy low & Sellers would want to sell high. It is really a case of "who need who more".

I had sold 1 explorer2 here before & now putting up my GMT2c for sale. Less than one year old watch full set local, I get people offering $7,200. Not once, but 7 messages from different forumers requesting to deal at the range of 7k++, without even bothering to at least intro yourself.

When I contact fellow forumers to deal, first of all, I intro myself. Secondly, if I felt the price is slightly high, I counter offer at a reasonable price. All potential buyers should do their due diligence & set a price they are prepared to deal. Not blindly offering unreasonable price hoping for miracle to happen, right?

Comment

Originally posted by franciz View Post
                  Personally, I don't see anything wrong with forumers wanting to make their sales pitch sounds interesting. To each his own, I felt it is perfectly fine.

It is really not easy to cut a good deal down here, unless the seller is really desperate for money. Buyers will always want to buy low & Sellers would want to sell high. It is really a case of "who need who more".

I had sold 1 explorer2 here before & now putting up my GMT2c for sale. Less than one year old watch full set local, I get people offering $7,200. Not once, but 7 messages from different forumers requesting to deal at the range of 7k++, without even bothering to at least intro yourself.

When I contact fellow forumers to deal, first of all, I intro myself. Secondly, if I felt the price is slightly high, I counter offer at a reasonable price. All potential buyers should do their due diligence & set a price they are prepared to deal. Not blindly offering unreasonable price hoping for miracle to happen, right?
                  Thanks for your comments.

I never say there is anything wrong

Is it difficult to sell something "down here"? My experience says no, but different sellers have different experience I guess. Some watches get sold within hours of posting, most take days and weeks. I have seen a particular seller selling some of his watches for over a year. (If I remember correctly there was a thread quite a while back in which members shared how long or how fast they took to sell their watches). As I mentioned earlier, it very much boils down to price, condition/age of watch & demand. I believe all watches can be sold with the "right price", i.e. price that matches the condition/age & demand. Otherwise, whatever sale pitch also no use.

As for self-introduction, it's nice but to me not that important. A guy who introduces himself can still be unpleasant to deal with so it's the attitude/manners that matters. Some members like to make friends during deals but some prefer to stay anonymous and touch & go.

Comment

Very true on the points, mr Pegasi.

I'll take it as advertising bluff. Same as world best no. 1 coffee etc.

some of them does waste time thought.

would appreciate more if they take time to post more pictures of the watches.
                    Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

There is a number 11 tactic used (oblivious to seller) that don't won't work as well. If I am the buyer, I will not buy if there are aplenty of threads, consistently bumping up and reinforced by many views. Obviously, either that particular model does not entice or pricing not realistic (never done proper research) before putting up for sales.
                      Him:
                      116520 V series/ 16750 M series /Franck Muller GPC (Red Ergal)/ Nubeo Black Jellyfish (Orange)/ Chopard Mille Miglia 2005 LTD ED/ Tudor Hydronaut II/ Tag Heuer Kirium/ Tag Heuer Formula 1/ Longines 36184566/ Tissot PRS 200 (Michael Owen LTD ED)/ Louis Erard Asymmetric/ Orient

Her:
                      AP Ladies Royal Oak 2140/ 178240 Z series/ Chopard Happy Black Valentine LTD ED/ Chopard Be Mad LTD ED/ Omega Speedmaster/ Bvlgari Carbon Gold (Moscow) LTD ED/ Tag Heuer Link/ Locman Tenderheart/ B & M

Comment

As usual... another interested thread from you again. Nice read!!

Comment

There is 1 thing which maybe dun consider as tactic, that I hate most when eyeing at a watch...

From seller thread : "Please PM to deal"... I really hate this... It just me...

Comment

Originally posted by 3131T View Post
                            There is 1 thing which maybe dun consider as tactic, that I hate most when eyeing at a watch...

From seller thread : "Please PM to deal"... I really hate this... It just me...
                            Me too because I duno what is "PM" until now.

Comment

PM - Private Message
                              Instead of sms, normally we send PM over the forum

Comment

Originally posted by dronell View Post
                                PM - Private Message
                                Instead of sms, normally we send PM over the forum
                                Thanks bro dronell,

Seems that now days human are more difficult to communicate .

I prefer to deal with humans with human courtesy .

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X