For starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For starters

Hi, I wonder if for starters, ie. those starting out this watch hobby, with limited amount of money like maybe $5000-$7000 and knowledge, what are the first 3 brands you'd advise the starters to begin with. For example, Tag-Omega-ROLEX or ROLEX-Brietling-Sinn, Seiko-Casio-ROLEX, etc. You may choose to cite reason(s) or not.

Let me begin:

1. Pre-own ROLEX (auto).
    2. Pre-own pam (mechanical).
    3. Brand new ROLEX (auto).

Just casual sharing.
    The Crown Of Achievement

5000-7000. can get brand new rolex, entry sports model like explorer II. also most likely the first rolex watch u buy will have more sentimental value and chances of you keeping is higher.

so it will be

1) BNIB Rolex
    2) pre-own rolex such as the sub date
    3) any other brand (i dont recommend breitling, sinn, omega or fashion brand watch)

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
    Hi, I wonder if for starters, ie. those starting out this watch hobby, with limited amount of money like maybe $5000-$7000 and knowledge, what are the first 3 brands you'd advise the starters to begin with. For example, Tag-Omega-ROLEX or ROLEX-Brietling-Sinn, Seiko-Casio-ROLEX, etc. You may choose to cite reason(s) or not.

Let me begin:

1. Pre-own ROLEX (auto).
    2. Pre-own pam (mechanical).
    3. Brand new ROLEX (auto).

Just casual sharing.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

1) BNIB Rolex
      2) BNIB or used PAM
      3) Any other brand, e.g FM, Omega, Cartier, etc, but only buy used one...

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
        5000-7000. can get brand new rolex, entry sports model like explorer II. also most likely the first rolex watch u buy will have more sentimental value and chances of you keeping is higher.

so it will be

1) BNIB Rolex
        2) pre-own rolex such as the sub date
        3) any other brand (i dont recommend breitling, sinn, omega or fashion brand watch)
        agreed...buy BNIB rolex, best explorer. then slowly build collection
        It is with our judgments as with our watches; no two go just alike, yet each believes his own.
        Alexander Pope

Comment

1) BNIB Rolex for sure
          2) Pre-owned Rolex
          3) Pre-Owned IWC.

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
          - GMT II
          - GMT IIc TT
          - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
          - Master Eight Days (1608420)
          - U1
          - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

1. BNIB Rolex, models like Explorer II or Sub etc
            2. Pre-owned Rolex (needed more exp, need to know alphabets)
            3. BNIB Pam/IWC etc. no fashion brands
            "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

Step 1: Dont buy first, wait, wait, wait. Impulse buying often lead to remorse.
              Step 2: Go all AD to familarise with models and prices. Collect SE card and write the price and the date (this will take some time even months).
              Step 3: Walk all pre-own shops to get to know price difference and whether personally can accept pre-own or not.
              Step 4: Pick up a few magazine or borrow some old one from the many si fu here.
              Step 5: Read all the threads humanly possible in SG-ROC (and the links to other websites)!

Try to rationalise what you're looking for:
              1. Daily beater or "Gu Gu" wear one time.
              2. Sports or Dress (if daily should be sports, IMO).
              3. Leather, metal or rubber (metal anytime any clothing can wear, leather and rubber need occasion, IMO).
              4. Type of complication or none at all:
              a. Date is essential or not (I always need it to tear coupons).
              b. Water proof important?
              c. Automatic/Quartz/Manual Winding?
              d. GMT (do you travel offen? Even if you travel would you wear this watch overseas?)
              e. Power reserve (automatic.manual)? Good complication if you don't wear if often then have to know how many days you want to leave it all alone in the box...
              f. Moon phase (some want to know when "Chu Yi and Shi Wu") and for the werewolves...
              5. If the person can bring along a friend and ask the friend to see him/her how many times the person try on a particular model (unknowingly) then more or less THAT'S THE ONE!
              6. I ran out of opinion liao...

Lastly think of getting that first watch and not about building collection. The path of getting every watch is different and its finding the watch that you ultimately want is priceless.
              St Augustine "The present of things past is memory, the present of things present is sight, and the present of things future is expectation."

Comment

1st of all, I want to thank ngohan8 for the watch buying guidline... but I would like to advise starters not to wait for too long... earlier you buy the more time you can enjoy the watch!!!

Originally posted by ngohan8 View Post
                Step 2: Go all AD to familarise with models and prices. Collect SE card and write the price and the date (this will take some time even months).
                Step 3: Walk all pre-own shops to get to know price difference and whether personally can accept pre-own or not.
                Step 5: Read all the threads humanly possible in SG-ROC (and the links to other websites)!

3. Leather, metal or rubber (metal anytime any clothing can wear, leather and rubber need occasion, IMO).
                d. GMT (do you travel offen? Even if you travel would you wear this watch overseas?)
                e. Power reserve (automatic.manual)? Good complication if you don't wear if often then have to know how many days you want to leave it all alone in the box...
                f. Moon phase (some want to know when "Chu Yi and Shi Wu") and for the werewolves...
                5. If the person can bring along a friend and ask the friend to see him/her how many times the person try on a particular model (unknowingly) then more or less THAT'S THE ONE!

Lastly think of getting that first watch and not about building collection. The path of getting every watch is different and its finding the watch that you ultimately want is priceless.

Comment

just my penny thoughts
                  Most important is to be happy, someone told me the timepiece must bring happiness to the wearer! Imagine wear 24hr and every time you see it you happy *priceless*
                  St Augustine "The present of things past is memory, the present of things present is sight, and the present of things future is expectation."

Comment

Also, when your friends praise the watch you are wearing.... SUPER PRICELESS!

just my penny thoughts
                    Most important is to be happy, someone told me the timepiece must bring happiness to the wearer! Imagine wear 24hr and every time you see it you happy *priceless*

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Tay
                      u should go watch shopping with hary. every watch u look at...he will tell u it is very nice and just buy it.
                      wah! he bring a very big bag of poison, better keep clear...gas gas gas :P

Comment

well said, never tell me earlier
                        It is with our judgments as with our watches; no two go just alike, yet each believes his own.
                        Alexander Pope

Comment

i basically follow roughly the same principles. i do want to add something, read about the brand you want to buy. learn more about the movements if that interest you, this is because certain brands and certain models have movement 'complication'. so the last thing you want to do is buy and have to send back the watch for 'tuning'.

it is true that when you buy the first watch, dont really start about thinking of watch collection. many people i know did not really start collecting after the 2nd or 3rd or even many pieces later. with this in mind, it is usually safer to stick to the traditional well-known brands with good resale value.

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                          1. subject heading indicating your issue
                          2. your nick
                          3. your corresponding email address
                          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Si bei well said lor. Almost cover all impt points for a beginer...

Back to topic... If I have 5-7k budget.

1. BNIB Rolex, may be Explorer 2
                            2. PAM
                            3. Omega

Comment

Paiseh, wat r considered fasion watches? Wat brands r there? I oni knw rolex is nt a fasion watch.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X