Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGD500 BILL FOR SEAFOOD DINNER: Tourist shocked.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SGD500 BILL FOR SEAFOOD DINNER: Tourist shocked.

Hi, came across an article today, tourist kena chop big time.

WHY SO EXPENSIVE?

March 18, 2009 (TNP)

WHEN a group of six tourists decided on a no-frills seafood dinner at a Newton Food Centre, they didn't fancy paying $500 for five dishes and drinks.

Mr Mike Rigby and his wife Dewi, from Portland, Oregon, were taken aback by the bill.

Having visited the food centre when they were last in Singapore 18 months ago, the couple suggested it to their four friends, all first-time visitors.

'We came here for lunch on our previous trip. We ordered two tiger prawns and chicken rice, and the two of us remember paying reasonable prices,' Mr Rigby said.

He added: 'The main draw for us was all the great food here. So we took our friends on their first visit. For six people, I didn't think the bill would be more than $200.'

When they got to Newton Food Centre last Saturday evening, it was already packed.

'We were having a hard time finding a table,' recalled Mr Rigby, 'Then this guy approached us, saying that he had a table for six. So we thought why not, and ordered dishes from him.'

They had initially intended to order only four tiger prawns, but the stall assistant suggested that eight prawns would be better for a party of six. Mr Rigby described the man as 'aggressive and pushy'.

Over and above the half-chicken, prawn, crab and baby squid dishes they ordered, the man also put two plates of stingray on the table.

When asked to take the stingray items away, the man appeared 'a bit put off', noted Mr Rigby.

They left it at that but, when they finished eating, the same man told them they had to pay $491. The group was surprised by the sum and asked for an itemised bill.

Said Mrs Rigby: 'He just came up with the figure, $491. When we asked for a receipt, he came out with one receipt.

When the man returned with the bill, he was accompanied by three or four men, said one of the guests, Mr Sal Rubjo, 53, from Arizona.

'Maybe they were afraid that we would get upset over the bill. When (my wife) said that it's (the bill) not reasonable, he (the man) didn't budge,' said Mr Rubjo.

Why did they pay if they thought the price was not justified?

'We were having fun,' replied Mr Rigby.

'It was our first night in Singapore, we didn't want to create a scene, so we just paid the bill.

'In hindsight, we should have (called and) waited for the police to deal with the matter, and that was our mistake,' Mr Rigby said.

Added Mrs Rigby: 'We handed him him $500, and he pocketed the change of $9. He just stood there, and didn't give us the change.'

Ripped off?

When did they realise that they could have been paying more than normal?

Mr Rubjo said: 'We started converting the weight to pounds, because we don't use grams in America, where the prices are set.

The bill listed three seafood dishes, a bun, half a steamed chicken, beer and drinks. Mr Rigby said they had five large bottles of Tiger Beer.

But the main point of contention was the price of the eight tiger prawns, which was listed on the stall's signboard as $8 for every 100g. At $239 for eight prawns, each one would have weighed an average of 375g.

Mr Rigby reckoned that the tiger prawns they were served would have weighed a maximum of 300g each, describing them to be around 20cm in length.

Why didn't they ask for the price before they ordered?

'We assumed that it was a reputable place with a fair price,' Mr Rigby said. 'The system here is very misleading and hard to understand. I don't think most tourists would take the time to figure out the price like that.'

A friend of the Rigbys, Mr Danny Chaplin, who has lived in Singapore for the last 19 years , alleged that the stall assistant may have bought some of the dishes from other stalls and inflated his prices.

The price of the half-chicken stated on the bill was $19. 'Where do we have half a chicken costing $19?' Mr Chaplin asked.

When The New Paper approached one chicken rice stall at the food centre, it was clearly stated that half a white chicken is only $12 .

Another stall operator at Newton Food Centre, who only wanted to be known as Madam Sng, 53, said: 'If customers want to order our dishes, they should go to the store directly.

'Another concern we have is that if the third-party vendors raise the prices by too much, we ourselves will be affected if it gets out that we are charging unreasonable prices.'

Mr Rigby said: 'I feel like there's a double standard for tourists. We're treated differently. They go after us because they think they can charge more. I feel really targeted as a foreigner.

'I would encourage my friends to shy away from Newton, and stay away from other touristy areas.'

If he had known that the bill would be so high in the first place, 'we would have gone to a five star restaurant and eaten for cheaper'.

Since the Saturday incident, they have eaten at three other food centres. Said Mr Rigby: 'It was a much better experience.

'Based on those experiences, we would look forward to coming back to Singapore again.'

By Han Su-Ying, newsroom intern, source from TNP
    "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

OH NO ! Now at Newton eating dinner with my XMM, better check prices 1st......
    *** EMMANUEL***

Comment

Originally posted by UncleLau View Post
      OH NO ! Now at Newton eating dinner with my XMM, better check prices 1st......
      Ask u to join gathering always busy, but have time to go dinner with XMM
      [SIZE="2"][U][B]Movement collection:[/B][/U]
      [U]German:[/U] Junghans 687, Durowe 7420
      [U]Russian:[/U] Poljot 3133, Poljot 2612, Vostok
      [U]Chinese:[/U] Seagull
      [U]Japanese:[/U] Seiko(s)
      [U]Swiss:[/U] ETA(s)+Valjoux+Unitas(s), Zenith(s), JLC, Rolex, Lemania(s), IWC[/SIZE]

Comment

I am not surprised to hear such news. Aint the first time.

Put aside the image of good Singapore, but this is really unethical and also in a way " racist".

It's like charging prices based on "colour code".

Maybe the hawkers will say it's recession and number of tourists are falling, so they have to find other ways to earn...

ah well, I hope someone can step in and regulate this. For all you know, even if we Singaporeans paid the cheaper price, we may not get what is worth. Mock meat for the real meat, perhaps?
        [I][COLOR="navy"]"You don't realize how strong a person really is until you see them at their weakest moment." - Unknown[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

put it this way, when we go to their country, they also take us for a ride, so basically, i say this, "suck it up!". the moment we walk out of our comfort zone, we are getting carrot chopped til no tomorrow.
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

I find there is no wrong doing for the hawker. The tourist should have check prices before ordering as most of the items are listed "seasonal". I don't think they were being "over-charged" as the hawker has to pay rent also. I had lunch at Goodwood Park Hotel this afternoon and they charged me $6.50 for a can of pepsi.... are they "over-charging" me? To me, no. To some other people, yes.
            Originally posted by watchwerkz View Post
            I am not surprised to hear such news. Aint the first time.

Put aside the image of good Singapore, but this is really unethical and also in a way " racist".

It's like charging prices based on "colour code".

Maybe the hawkers will say it's recession and number of tourists are falling, so they have to find other ways to earn...

ah well, I hope someone can step in and regulate this. For all you know, even if we Singaporeans paid the cheaper price, we may not get what is worth. Mock meat for the real meat, perhaps?

Comment

this kind of thing happen everywhere loh. even in mamak shop,you can go same place 3 times and 3 different prices for one can drink..
              Opportunities come once

Comment

Correct! Even when we go to our so-called "reputable" ADs, we can get different quotes for a same Rolex model... how to explain?

I find that the local and the media are more "racist" in reporting these so-called "black-listed" places... why people don't complaint ADs charging differently? Why people don't complaint ADs charging premium for 116520??

Originally posted by Mille View Post
                this kind of thing happen everywhere loh. even in mamak shop,you can go same place 3 times and 3 different prices for one can drink..

Comment

I read the papers that some stall owners did relate that the prices charged are a little exhorbitant. So i guess there is an intention to inflate the price because the patrons are tourists.

Comment

In another words, I bought a GV last year at $20k and a tourist buy one from the same AD for only $10k today. So I guess there was an intention to inflate the price becaue the patron was a carrot local?

Originally posted by PeeCeeBee View Post
                    I read the papers that some stall owners did relate that the prices charged are a little exhorbitant. So i guess there is an intention to inflate the price because the patrons are tourists.

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                      Correct! Even when we go to our so-called "reputable" ADs, we can get different quotes for a same Rolex model... how to explain?

I find that the local and the media are more "racist" in reporting these so-called "black-listed" places... why people don't complaint ADs charging differently? Why people don't complaint ADs charging premium for 116520??
                      HANOR!! yah lor,because watches lah, its a super special product and no fix price ma.

they got all kinds of discounts thats why will have this kind of problem...but i dun care lah..only the ang mohs will get chop carrot head in our local ads

we all locals we know market price wont get chop carrot head...hehe

haha den when we all locals go JB...other way round liao...we will get chopped..hehe evil cycle lol
                      Opportunities come once

Comment

ha ha... and only the ang mohs can walk naked at Holland V... sorry

Originally posted by Mille View Post
                        yah lor,because watches lah, its a super special product and no fix price ma.

they got all kinds of discounts thats why will have this kind of problem...but i dun care lah..only the ang mohs will get chop carrot head in our local ads

we all locals we know market price wont get chop carrot head...hehe

Comment

$8 per 100 g........ and they ordered 8, of cos expensive........ ang mos have no case at all
                          the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
                          visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

I ate 4 big big bbq prawns in Phuket for $40+ SGD....ard $10+ for each prawn,,

I feel i already kenna chopped liaos... this is worst...
                            A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Of course they say that hawker sell expensive lah... competitor mah...that reporter also no brain one...

Originally posted by PeeCeeBee View Post

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X