Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What you would have done

Dear:All,

Just to share an experience I had yesterday and would like to hear from you guys as to what you would have done if you were to experience the same thing.

This is what happened. Yesterday I saw a watch on forum I was interested in and so made contact with the seller.
    After a few sms exchanges - we finally agreed on a trade with some top-up from the seller.
    Agreed to carry out the deal at his place the same night - so I went home to take the watch and head for a quick dinner. Just then he sms me to say he wanted to put the deal on hold because he said someone selling the same watch cheaper and will see how it goes next week (if my watch is still available).

I was really disappointed with such an attitude - bcos I myself have never once stood people up like that once a deal is agreed on.

I also discover that he was also selling the same watch on Ebay with about 7 days more to run its course before it end. So I was wondering how can he be selling on forum and Ebay at the same time and what if he sold it away to someone on forum and what is he going to do with those who bidded on the same watch on Ebay. He bound to disappoint someone in the process unless he has a clause in his Ebay that state that he can "withdraw his sale" anytime which I notice he hasn't.

Some people I know from forum told me to put it on forum against his item on sale but I dont wish to start another unpleasant round of words.

What would you guys have done differently if you were in my shoes.

Thanks.
    facebook.com/watches.jamy

Mine:
    1) Rolex Seadweller T-Series
    2) Seiko Sports Vintage
    3) Chopard Mille Miglia GMT Chrono
    4) Polaris Homage
    5) Heuer Carrera
    6) JLC Memovox Deep Sea
    7) Baume n Mercier
    8) Helson Skindiver
    9) Hamilton Air Race & X-Copter
    10) Longines Chrono
    11) Meistersinger
    12) Omega Triple Date
    13) Tudor Big Block Full set
    14) Revue Theomann Alarm
    15) BALL EM2 World Time
    16) Zenith Triple D

He is "hedging" his bets, I believe. He would have gotten the best deal available but will sully his name in the process.

For a willing buyer, there must be a willing seller. So if you are unwilling, don't do it. I won't. I may even take a further hit on the price and sell it to someone else that appreciates the value of "a man's word is his bond", instead of him.

The bright side out of this sorry affair is that since you have already found out about this, you have the choice of not selling the watch to him, if you are not in dire need of money. There are ethical people out there that will pay for your watch and not leave a bad taste in your mouth too.

But of course, this is but one side of the story. - Must put disclaimer

Comment

agree, need to hear both sides of the story to have a better picture.

Comment

There is nothing to be done at all. U r posting it as if he was scamming u.

Both of u just agreed to deal thru sms. There is no guarantee the deal will go ahead after u meet o inspecr watch condition. Yes he didnt keep his 'promise' but at least he back out n didnt waste ur time n effort driving n waiting there. U cant expect all sellers n buyers to follow your way. Ppl wouldnt know u wont do the same thing to them either.

Keyword is he 'BACK OUT' before any meeting take place.

Comment

What would I have done? Just get on with it. Changing a buy/sell decision isn't a sin although I understand the other party would feel quite upset as I have been in similar position before. At least he did it before meeting up and told you what seems like a true reason. He could have just said "sorry I changed my mind".

I am a big fan of "a man is only worth his words" quote, but I don't think such case warrant a "public hearing". And I have read enough rubbish and irresponsible posts on this forum that I do not assume people who I know only by nick or phone number to be a man of his words.

Same old saying - part and parcel of buying/selling on forum.
          Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

It isn't that bad as a buyer not turning up for the deal at the agreed time and disappearing from planet earth, at least he told you that he changed his mind.

For me? Just move on and wait for the right buyer. Like what pegasi said, part and parcel of buying/selling on the forum.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by JAMYLIM View Post

This is what happened. Yesterday I saw a watch on forum I was interested in and so made contact with the seller.
              After a few sms exchanges - we finally agreed on a trade with some top-up from the seller.
              Agreed to carry out the deal at his place the same night - so I went home to take the watch and head for a quick dinner. Just then he sms me to say he wanted to put the deal on hold because he said someone selling the same watch cheaper and will see how it goes next week (if my watch is still available).

I was really disappointed with such an attitude - bcos I myself have never once stood people up like that once a deal is agreed on.

I also discover that he was also selling the same watch on Ebay with about 7 days more to run its course before it end. So I was wondering how can he be selling on forum and Ebay at the same time and what if he sold it away to someone on forum and what is he going to do with those who bidded on the same watch on Ebay. He bound to disappoint someone in the process unless he has a clause in his Ebay that state that he can "withdraw his sale" anytime which I notice he hasn't.

Some people I know from forum told me to put it on forum against his item on sale but I dont wish to start another unpleasant round of words.

Thanks.

Just to share an experience I had yesterday and would like to hear from you guys as to what you would have done if you were to experience the same thing.

Is a low class mini dealer, you can`t do any thing to him. " Except show him your middle finger ".

You should be happy because you had learn something gain some experience from there.

Watch-ing hobby is the same as Golfing. You get to know other persons/parties character during the process of trading or game.

Last edited by Derick; 31-07-13, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMYLIM View Post

Thanks.

Is a low class mini dealer, you can`t do any thing to him. " Except show him your middle finger ".

You should be happy because you had learn something gain some experience from there.

Watch-ing hobby is the same as Golfing. You get to know other persons/parties character during the process of trading or game.

Comment

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/98050-...-OT?highlight=

Maybe he saw this.

Comment

Good morning everyone. Thanks for your input...I guess this is part and parcel of dealing with watches.
                    Everyone contribution is greatly appreciated and for every deal that didnt turn out well - there are many that will turn out nicely.

Thanks and have a great day!!! Cheers.

Mine:
                    2) Seiko Sports Vintage
                    4) Polaris Homage
                    5) Heuer Carrera
                    6) JLC Memovox Deep Sea
                    7) Baume n Mercier
                    8) Helson Skindiver
                    10) Longines Chrono
                    11) Meistersinger
                    12) Omega Triple Date
                    13) Tudor Big Block Full set
                    14) Revue Theomann Alarm
                    15) BALL EM2 World Time
                    16) Zenith Triple D

Comment

Lol. You always met this type of buyer. I had came across a few of your thread. Anyway, just move on. be glad that you didn't drive all the way there then recieve his message.

Comment

there are all sorts of buyers and sellers regardless online or brick & motar shops.

in your case, the chance of buyers/sellers pulling out of a deal is there and as many members before me mention that it is part and parcel selling online.

in your situation, at least your opposite party inform you.

i encountered a case where price is agreed upon, turn up @ seller's designated location and sms and calls went to seller went without any response.

do note that you wont be the only one and wont be the last one.
                        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                        1. subject heading indicating your issue
                        2. your nick
                        3. your corresponding email address
                        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Hi! Guess sometimes it just happen but at least no money is involve.

Have a great day!

Mine:
                          2) Seiko Sports Vintage
                          4) Polaris Homage
                          5) Heuer Carrera
                          6) JLC Memovox Deep Sea
                          7) Baume n Mercier
                          8) Helson Skindiver